Olympic sports roundup: Triathlon wins sixth consecutive NCAA championship

ASU triathlon won its sixth consecutive NCAA championship, and hockey swept its series this week for ASU

c8a9cd96-bdcc-42b7-ac04-11d32b661f39.sized-1000x1000.jpg

Then-sophomore triathlete Amber Schlebusch leads the first heat of the 3 kilometer run at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe on Saturday, Sept. 18, 2021.

Triathlon

ASU continued its dominance in triathlon, winning its sixth national championship in a row on Nov. 12.

ASU won the team championship, beating the Queens University of Charlotte by only nine points. 

Junior Amber Schlebusch, who led the Sun Devils, won the race to become an individual national champion for the first time in her career.

A minute behind Schlebusch in second place was senior teammate Liberty Ricca, who got to stand on the podium for her final race.

"We have an amazing team," head coach Cliff English said. "They are just so together. They look out for each other and push each other in training. I'm very proud of them, but it is definitely always a team effort out here."

Four Sun Devils finished in the top 10.

Volleyball

The ASU volleyball team suffered back-to-back losses, falling to Washington State 3-0 on Friday and to Washington 3-2 on Sunday.

ASU first faced the No. 25 Washington State Cougars at home.

The first set of the match was extremely tight. The Sun Devils came into the match with a lot of energy, especially from junior Marta Levinska, who had two early kills. Senior Iman Isanovic, sophomore Geli Cyr, and senior Shannon Shields also earned kills for the Sun Devils, tying the set at 16 a piece. After this, the Sun Devils made some critical attacking and serving errors, eventually losing the set 25-23.

ASU played aggressively at the beginning of the second set with kills from junior Claire Jeter and Levinska. ASU had the lead of a few points throughout most of the set, but at 18 all, the Sun Devils allowed four points. ASU could not come back from the deficit and lost the second set 25-22. 

The Sun Devils fought to break the losing pattern in the third set, specifically Isanovic, with two kills in the first three points. ASU lost the lead and returned to the back-and-forth style of play. Like the previous set, ASU held the Cougars until the last five points and allowed them to win 25-22.

After losing to WSU, the Sun Devils took on No. 20 Washington at home.

The first set of the match was back and forth for most of the game. Levinska, Jeter and Isanovic supplied the attack for ASU. The Sun Devils were leading 19-17 and grew the lead even more with two kills from Levinska and Cyr and two blocks from Levinska and Jeter. The Sun Devils won the set 25-18.

Washington came into the second set with more of an edge, stopping the ASU attack. The Huskies took an early lead and held it for most of the game, winning the second set 25-19.

The Huskies dominated the third set. UW took the set early, minimized the ASU attacks, and quickly won the set 25-16.

The fourth set was more competitive between Sun Devils and the Huskies. ASU was strong with its offense, with kills from junior Claudia Stahlke, junior Roberta Rabelo, Levinska, and Isanovic. However, the Sun Devils could not gain a lead, and the set went to match point, but they managed to grab the set 27-25.

The fifth and final set was less competitive. Washington took an early lead and maintained it throughout the set. ASU lost the final set 15-8 to seal the match for Washington.

The Sun Devils' next match is on Thursday against No. 8 Stanford in California, starting at 8 p.m. MST.

Wrestling

No. 5 ASU competed in its first match of the season in the Journeymen Wrangle Mania against No. 21 Rutgers in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on Saturday through Monday.

Six Sun Devils won their matchups 3-0, 7-0, 10-2, 16-5, 22-5, and 25-10 to push ASU to a 25-16 victory over the Scarlet Knights. No. 4 redshirt senior Michael McGee defeated graduate student Joe Heilmann 11-3 to claim his 26th career major decision victory.

McGee, redshirt junior Tony Negron and redshirt freshman Cael Valencia all earned bonus points in their matches. Negron pinned sophomore Connor O'Neill in the first period to earn his first fall victory since 2020.

ASU will play in Mullett Arena for the first time against No. 3 Missouri on Nov. 17.

Hockey

Following a historic win over North Dakota, Sun Devil hockey swept Alaska Anchorage in a two-game series 5-2 on Friday and 3-0 on Saturday after having a week off.

The Sun Devils stormed out of the gates with heavy pressure on the net and had nine minutes of power play time and 42 shots on the net.

Sophomore goaltender TJ Semptimphelter was solid in between the pipes, recording over 30 saves for the seventh time this season. 

Junior Ty Jackson and sophomore Jack Jensen scored one goal each in the first period. Junior Dylan Jackson, sophomore Josh Doan and senior Jack Judson scored goals in the second period.

Overall, the Sun Devils had five different goal-scorers and 10 different players with an assist in a dominant performance from start to finish.

Saturday's game was slower but resulted in the same outcome for the Sun Devils. 

Neither team scored a goal for nearly two periods until junior Lukas Sillinger put one past the goalkeeper with 2:30 left to go in the second frame. ASU scored two more goals in the third period courtesy of junior Ryan O'Reilly and graduate student Christopher Grando.

Semptimphelter put up an even better performance than the previous night, saving all 19 shots and shutting the Seawolves out. This was the third time ASU pitched a shutout this season.

Hockey's next series will be on the road against Clarkson University on Friday and Saturday.

Soccer

The Sun Devils' 2022 campaign ended in Portland as they fell to the University of Portland in the first round of the NCAA Tournament 3-0.

After a tough and hard-fought first half, ASU was tied with the No. 8 Pilots on their home field. Portland dominated possession as the team held the Sun Devils to just three shots on goal.

With hopes of an upset, the Sun Devils needed to play their best soccer all season to continue their season.

Portland stepped up its game as the team would score just 16 minutes into the second half and score two more goals just 18 minutes later.

This game marks the end of an era for the program as four notable players will be gone: Nicole Douglas, Alexia Delgado, Eva van Deursen, and Olivia Nguyen.

The Sun Devils are still in good hands for next year, returning many key starters and players from this season.

Cross Country

The Sun Devils showed out at the NCAA West Regionals Friday in Tacoma, Washington, to close out the cross country season for runners other than senior Vincent Mauri. Mauri finished 11th overall with a 28:42.1 finish, earning him a bid to the NCAA Championships. 

Of the six Sun Devil men runners who competed, only Mauri and sophomore Dayton Carlson broke the top 100, but all six runners hit personal bests in the season's biggest race.

Senior Lena Lebrun led the way for the women's team in the 6,000-meter race, finishing No. 80 overall with a 20:41.5 time. At the same time, sophomore Claire Le Gallo and junior Gracie Carr topped personal bests.

Mauri will compete at Oklahoma State University on Saturday, Nov. 19, for a shot at a national championship.  

Edited by Walker Smith, David Rodish and Greta Forslund.

Reach the reporters at sstaple5@asu.edu, addokalm@gmail.com, dstipano@asu.edu, and bsilvyn@asu.edu and follow them @adokalm32, @dstipanovichh, and @BSilvyn on Twitter. 

Addison KalmbachSports Reporter

Addison Kalmbach is a reporter for The State Press Sports desk. He has previously worked for Detroit City FC and PHOENIX Magazine.

Bennett SilvynSports Reporter

Bennett Silvyn is a reporter for the sports desk at The State Press. He has previously worked for Walter Cronkite Sports Network and FC Tucson.

×