Satire: Revamping the Binary

‘Some parts of life were never meant to be questioned!’

nb.png

Satire: Revamping the Binary

If you’ve read any of my previous work, I may not give this impression, but I’m a traditionalist.

I see these new-age kids talk about breaking down gender norms, and I shake my head in disgust. Without gender norms, we’d live in a world of chaos!

I have overwhelming control issues, and I cannot let this slide. If I cannot arbitrarily separate people into two immutable groups to predict their behavior and interests, I might as well curl up and die.

The gender binary is the lifeblood of order and reason in modern society. It’s just super boring. It’s time for a revamp.

It’s undeniable that sex is determined by scientifically different aspects identified in the human body. It’s also a fact that these biological differences come with completely fixed preferences for nonsensical things that never change and cannot vary from person to person.

If you have two sacks of fat affixed to your chest, you are predisposed to glitter, unicorns, looking desirable and having empathy. And just to put the rumors to bed, none of these things has anything to do with societal expectations. I, for one, popped out of the womb, immediately looked in the mirror, and cut my own umbilical cord because honestly, what sex appeal do vestigial organs have?

Suppose you have two oval organs enclosed in bags of skin in your pants. In that case, you probably enjoy hunting, killing, steak and stoicism so debilitating that, rather than get a therapist, you leave a family of four behind for some “Instagram model” who DMed you with “an opportunity for a high-interest investment.” This is just how things are meant to be.

Despite my dyed hair, septum piercing and pronouns, I’m not trying to rid the world of gender norms. In fact, I’m trying to engrain them into every facet of life. I want gender norms so strict that testosterone treatment is subsidized and mandated by the government.

All I’m saying is that some parts of life were never meant to be questioned! America is a Christian country! At least as far as any minority is concerned. When God lovingly shaped Adam from clay, starting mankind, he secretly inserted a tiny instruction manual for day trading. Like how women use their estrogen to make their husbands sandwiches, braless, unasked for, men use testosterone to fruitlessly follow the stock market.

I’m no new-fashioned liberal! I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. I need to be able to look at a classroom full of children and give them either trucks and trains or unicorns and flowers.

If I had to individually care about people, it might cause me to engage in nuanced thought. And the thought of nuanced thought is sickening.

Edited by Sam Ellefson, Camila Pedrosa, Alexis Moulton and Greta Forslund.

This story is part of The Spectrum Issue, which was released on April 5, 2023. See the entire publication here.

Reach the columnist at cageare@asu.edu and follow @notevilclaire on Twitter.

Editor's note: The opinions presented in this column are the author's and do not imply any endorsement from State Press Magazine or its editors.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to statepressmag@gmail.com. Keep letters under 500 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

Like State Press Magazine on Facebook, follow @statepressmag on Twitter and Instagram and read our releases on Issuu.

×