The Echo Arts Roundup: Sept. 11 to Sept. 17

A complete guide to ASU’s weekly arts and culture scene this week

The Echo-echo-arts-roundup-2-kubasko-stock-0905.png

"The Echo made a list of the best of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community."

ASU is packed with events this week in all kinds of mediums. Check out art galleries and exhibits, paint for yourself, or attend a creative writing studio. Go to graduate and doctoral student piano performances, listen to ASU's stunning choral ensembles, or enjoy one of the many cultural celebrations being hosted this week. The opportunities are limitless!

Visual Arts

Naturespace Workshop: Nature's Canvases

Paint and create with wood slices at Naturespace in the Hayden Library on Thursday, Sept. 14, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Participants can learn new techniques, experiment with colors and designs, and take home their work – all for free for ASU students. Contact Christina Sullivan for more information. 

'All The Moves': Art Exhibition Reception

Katie Parker, the co-founder of Future Retrieval, has curated the annual exhibition of “All The Moves”, and students can attend its reception on Thursday, Sept. 14, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. The artists showcased in this exhibition are  B. Jean Larson, Lola Panco, Nicole Ponsart, Brittney Wegener, Mehrdad Mirzaie Shahrestanaki, Germán Benicore, Arianna Barley and Jared Peterson. The artists’ work features the use of pattern and repetition to create complex surfaces that pull viewers in. The event is free for ASU students. RSVP here. 

"Echoes Seen" Gallery: Opening Reception

Join graduate students and faculty of the MFA programs of Creative Writing and the School of Art at ASU as they showcase all kinds of pieces across a multitude of mediums in their opening reception for "Echoes Seen." This reception will be held at the Step Gallery on Friday, Sept. 15, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.  The gallery will be on display until Sept. 30. Artists' works include photography, drawing, clothing, ceramics, paper-mâché, video and sound installation, and are personal to each artist. 

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

ASU Hispanic Research Center Art Exhibit, Interdisciplinary Building, A Wing, 2nd Floor from Sept. 15 until Oct. 15

'Hommage de Jules Massenet: Confluence of Art Forms' Exhibit, Music Library until Dec. 15

Delia Robles Art Exhibit, Noble Library until Oct. 20.

'De-Construction: by Popular Demand' Exhibit, Vault Gallery inside the Downtown Phoenix campus Library, University Center until Dec. 8.

'Nature Imagined' Exhibit, Polytechnic campus Library until Nov. 12.

Performing Arts

Rebirth: ASU Sol Singers, Canticum Bassum, and Choral Union Performances

ASU graduate student choral ensembles, including the Sol Singers, Canticum Bassum and Choral Union, are performing on Wednesday, Sept. 13, at the Katzin Concert Hall, Music Building, from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets are free for students with ID at the door, or $12 otherwise for general admission. The repertoire will feature works by Gabriel Fauré, Andrea Ramsey, and Susan LaBarr, and the performances will be conducted by Megann Sala, Jordan Rakita, and Lawrence Laureano. Face coverings are not required but are recommended in School of Music, Dance, and Theatre indoor performance spaces.

Mexican Independence Day Celebration

The ASU Symphony Orchestra and ASU Mariachi will headline a Mexican Independence Day celebration at Gammage Auditorium from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16. General admission tickets can be purchased here for $12. The orchestra will perform pieces by Gabriela Ortiz, José Pablo Moncayo, Silvestre Revueltas, and more. Look out for surprises and special guests as well! After the concert, there will be a post-concert celebration with food trucks, snacks, a live DJ, arts & crafts projects, and lawn and table games. RSVP here. 

An Afternoon of Song with Amanda DeMaris, Stephanie Weiss and Andrew Campbell

"An Afternoon of Song" is a piano and voice performance from Stephanie Weiss, Amanda DeMaris and Andrew Campbell. The event takes place at the Katzin Concert Hall, Music Building from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 17. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for students, and sales are online only

Student Piano Recitals

Iris Chi Wa Ho, an ASU graduate student, will perform a piano recital at Katzin Concert Hall from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 15. Doctoral student  Qize Liu will perform a piano recital on Saturday, Sept. 16 from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Both events are free for ASU students and are certain to feature incredible talent. 

Masterclass with Maestro Jaime Cuéllar

Maestro Jaime Cuéllar, the Director of Mariachi Garibaldi, will be teaching a masterclass with the ASU Mariachi Ensemble on Friday, Sept. 15 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Both students and the public alike can attend for free at Gammage room 311.

Creative Writing

Writing Studio with Chris Jones

Want to get guidance on a significant piece of writing? Look no further than the Writing Studio, a weekly workshop that meets on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., either in person or virtually. There are two meetings left: Sept. 15 and 22. The workshop aims to build healthy, sustainable writing habits for its attendees, focusing on productivity strategies rather than stylistic coaching. It’s free for all ASU students and is held in room 197 in Ross-Blakley Hall in Tempe.

Classical Arabic Poetry: ASU Council for Arabic and Islamic Studies

The ASU Council for Arabic and Islamic Studies is hosting a reading and discussion of classical Arabic poetry on Tuesday, Sept. 12 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. It will be an “engaging night of art, culture, and faculty-led scholarly discussion.” The event is free and on Zoom. Contact Dr. Souad T. Ali for more information. 

Edited by Claire van Doren, Walker Smith and Angelina Steel. 

Reach the reporter at adirst@asu.edu and follow @andrewdirst on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X.

×