ASU names the 2023 Sun Devil Hall of Fame Class

The 2023 class will be inducted and celebrated during the football game against Colorado on Saturday

230316 Sun Angel Stadium.jpg

Sun Angel Stadium is pictured on Thursday, March 16, 2023 in Tempe.

ASU prepares to induct the 2023 Sun Devil Hall of Fame class during halftime as the Sun Devils gear up to play Deion Sanders and Colorado on Saturday. The induction recognizes the immense efforts and progress these Sun Devils contributed to the University.

The 2023 class recognizes: 

Greg Kraft (Hall of Distinction) 

Addison McGrath 

Jordan Clarke 

Jason Kipnis 

Shaun McDonald 

Regina (Stahl) Mannix 

2007 Women’s Track and Field 

Greg Kraft was named ASU’s track and field coach in 1996 and has been a part of the program ever since. At ASU, he coached numerous runners into Olympic games, including 2004 Olympic gold medalist Dwight Phillips, 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympian Chris Benard, and 2008 Olympian and 7X National Champion Jacquelyn Johnson. 

Addison McGrath swam for ASU’s water polo team from 2006-2008. She’s the first ASU player to be named a First-Team All-American and holds the school’s title in career goals scored with 174 goals. McGrath competed for the USA Junior National Team in 2005 and ran for ASU’s track and field program. 

Jordan Clarke started competing in ASU’s track and field program in 2009 and ended his career in 2013 with many accomplishments. Clarke is a four-time NCAA Champion, an eight-time All-American and won three Pac-12 titles during his four years with the team. He finished second in ASU history as an indoor shot putter.

Jason Kipnis debuted for the Sun Devil baseball team in 2008 as a sophomore, starting in center field. In his two seasons with the Sun Devils, he earned Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year in 2008 and was Pac-10 Player of the Year in 2009. Kipnis was drafted that same year by the Cleveland Guardians, leaving a short but admirable impact on the program.

Wide receiver Shaun McDonald played three explosive seasons for the Sun Devils from 2000-2002. McDonald caught a school-record 87 passes for 1,405 yards in his last season with the team and has two 1,000-yard receiving seasons. His time with the Sun Devils also ended early after the St. Louis Rams drafted him as a fourth-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft. 

Regina Mannix, formerly Stahl, competed in women’s volleyball from 1984 to 1987 and set school records that are still prevalent today. Mannix holds the school record for career assists (5,180) and aces (78). She also set the single-match record in aces her freshman season with nine and set the single-match assists record with 90 assists in a 1987 matchup, third in conference history.  

The 2007 women’s track and field team will be the second full team to be inaugurated into the Hall of Fame, the other being the 1995 women’s golf team. The team made tremendous strides that season, winning the NCAA indoor title, the Pac-10 title, the NCAA West Regional and the NCAA Championship. This team made ASU the third school in NCAA women’s history to win outdoor and indoor titles in the same year, following LSU and Texas. During the outdoor championship, six women on the team earned All-American recognition. 

ASU is holding a luncheon and induction ceremony for the class on Friday at noon at the Omni Tempe Hotel. The ASU community is invited to attend the event. 

Edited by Alfred Smith III, Walker Smith and Shane Brennan

Reach the reporter at katrinamic03@gmail.com and follow @kat_m67 on X.

×