ARTS EVENT ROUNDUP: Oct. 30 to Nov. 5

Get creepy and creative with the best ASU artistic offerings of Halloweek

the-echo-art-roundup-kubasko-1023.jpg

The Echo made a list of the spookiest of ASU’s artistic showcases and opportunities happening this week, and a little extra from the greater community.

Immerse yourself in ASU's art offerings this week, including special spooky workshops and performances, Día de los Muertos centered events and the annual ARTFest.

Visual Arts

Halloween Crafts

This week a variety of campus organizations will host spooky craft events. On Tuesday, Oct. 3, the Makerspace in Hayden Library will have Halloween crafts from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Wednesday, Nov. 1, the Sun Devil Fitness Complex Polytechnic facility will host pumpkin painting from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Halloween Agar Art

Find out how art and bacteria intersect on Monday, Oct. 30 at 6:15 p.m. in room 218 of the Engineering Center G Wing. At the DIYbio and Women in Biochemistry collaboration, attendees will use genetically engineered bacteria to design their own E. Coli art. 

Drawing with Dean - Short Pose

One event in a free series of figure drawing workshops, the session will be faculty-led and have a live nude model. Bring your preferred medium to work with for the workshop on Tuesday, Oct. 31 at 4:30 p.m. in room 420 of the Art Building

VCD Clock Exhibition

At this exhibition, the visual communication design program seniors will display 12-inch clocks that each represent a social cause they care about. The clocks will be on display from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 1 at Red Square

Polytechnic PAB Day of the Dead

This Día de los Muertos inspired event is free for students, with activities including a screening of Coco and skull painting. Join the Programming and Activities Board on Wednesday, Nov. 1, at 6:30 p.m. in the Colley Ballrooms

Painting at Pablo with TSTRC

Meet other students living on campus while enjoying donuts and tote bag painting with this collaboration between the residence councils of Tooker House, San Pablo and University Towers. The painting event will take place in the San Pablo classroom on Thursday, Nov. 2, at 6 p.m.

Koji Iron Pour

Once a semester, ASU's Foundry and Metal Casting Arts organization Fahrenheit 2150 pours molten iron into hundreds of handmade molds. People from regional colleges, local industries and community professionals will be in attendance. The pour will take place on Saturday, Nov. 4, from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Scottsdale Community College.

AfroWorld Fashion Show: Back To Our Roots

See looks from seven Black and African designers at this fashion show hosted on the Downtown Phoenix campus by the African Students Association. The show will include dancing and vocal performances and will take place at Fusion on First on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 6 p.m. 

Free ongoing galleries and exhibits

"Nature Imagined" Exhibit, Polytechnic Campus Library until Nov. 3.

"Seral Bodies," Northlight Galleries at Grant Street Studios until Nov. 4.

"De-Construction: by Popular Demand" Exhibit, Vault Gallery until Dec. 8.

"Hommage de Jules Massenet: Confluence of Art Forms” Exhibit, Music Library until Dec. 15.

"Revealing Reflections," Gallery 100 at Mirabella until Nov. 2.

"Memento Mori III," Harry Wood Gallery, Art Building Oct. 31 to Nov. 9.

"Traces Between," Step Gallery, Nov. 2 to 11.

Performing Arts

ASU Chamber Winds at Mirabella

Enjoy an evening of live music by the ASU Chamber Winds at Mirabella retirement living. The event will take place on Monday, Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. Complimentary tickets can be claimed by eligible faculty, staff and students online

Performance with a View: Piano Students from the ASU Studio of Cathal Breslin

This piano concert will feature solo performances by students from the studio of Professor Cathal Breslin. You can attend this concert for free on Tuesday, Oct. 31 at 10 a.m. at the Tempe Center for the Arts

Happy How-Low-Ween and the ASU Low Brass: Trombone, Tuba and Euphonium

This Halloween evening event features "spooky low vibrations," according to Sun Devil Sync. The music will begin at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 31 at the Nelson Fine Arts Center plaza. 

Memorial Union Music Series

Have some music with your lunch. The Programming and Activities Board hosts student performers for their musical series on Wednesdays from noon to 1 p.m. at the Memorial Union North Stage

Graphic Notation: A Guide

Join the Society for Composers to learn how to create your own graphic score. This workshop will explore alternative methods of notation for musical composition on Friday, Nov. 3 at 4 p.m. in the Music Library conference room. 

Soundscape Sound Escape

Participate in an Interactive Immersive Sound Installation by faculty members Fernanda Aoki Navarro, Rodrigo Meirelles and Jean Howard. The soundscape for this installation comes from nature reserves and from metropolitan areas in Arizona. This event will start at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 3, at the MIX center in Mesa. 

"Frankenstein's Creature Tells His Tale"

Join Jon Spelman for the audio recording of "Frankenstein's Creature Tells His Tale." This audio theater experience features narrative storytelling and will be produced into a podcast. The live performance will take place on Friday, Nov. 3, at ASU Kerr in Scottsdale. Tickets are $30. 

Anthropocene 

This non-traditional storytelling production features media design, dance, movement, text and sound to discuss the escalation of consumption. Anthropocene was created by a collective of graduate and undergraduate students. 

Tickets range from $10-20 for the public. Eligible faculty, students and staff are able to redeem complimentary tickets online by clicking "Buy Tickets" and entering their ASU ID as a promo code at checkout. The production will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 3, at Galvin Playhouse Theater.  

Cafeteria Comedy Club: Jessie Johnson

Comedian Jessie Johnson will perform at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 4, as part of the "Cafeteria Comedy Club" series hosted at Mountain America Stadium. Johnson is a comedian based in L.A. and a current member of the "Bad Friends Podcast" with Andrew Santino and Bobby Lee.

Student Recitals

Undergraduate, graduate and doctoral recitals are held throughout the week in the Music Building. These opportunities to see ASU students perform are free and open to the public. This week's recitals include Charles Anderson, jazz guitar, Polina Beymanov, collaborative piano, Michael Verso, trumpet, Mikaela Hannon, flute, Benjamin Kearns, bassoon, Bailye Hendley, horn, Tianhao Zhang, voice-baritone, Oliver Padegimas, composition, Isac Sanchez Torrez, euphonium and the Graduate Recital Choir performing Igor Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms.

Film

Women in Animation Artist Talk

Women in Animation will host an artist talk with Netflix storyboard artist JiYoung Na, where Na will do a live review of a group of students’ film animatics. You can watch a screening of the talk in room 246 of the Art Building on Wednesday, Nov. 1, at 11 a.m.

"My 58 Uncles": Film Screening and Discussion

This ASU Library and Community-Driven Archives Initiative screening features the film "My 58 Uncles" and a discussion with the filmmaker, Min Zhou. The film tells the stories surrounding 800 Chinese men who went to the Thunderbird Field to learn how to fly. The screening will take place on Thursday, Nov. 2, at 3 p.m. in room 232 of Hayden Library

Other Events Featuring the Arts 

ARTFest

This annual School of Art event will feature student organizations and art community members as they demonstrate their artistic processes and sell their artwork. All community members are invited to attend on Friday, Nov. 3, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m at Neeb Plaza. 

READ MORE: Student Artists to Showcase their Art at Art Fest 2022

The Chic x USM Vintage Street Market

This Downtown Phoenix street market – a collaboration between ASU's Chic Daily and University Street Market – features local vendors, sustainable shopping and a non-transactional clothing swap. The market runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 31, in Civic Space Park

Barrett Downtown Phoenix Ofrenda and Día de los Muertos Celebration

Barrett, the Honors College will celebrate Día de los Muertos by constructing an ofrenda to honor the ancestors of ASU community members in the B Suite of the Mercado building in Downtown Phoenix. The set up of the ofrenda will take place from noon until 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 1, and students are invited to bring photos to honor departed loved ones. Then, from 3 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 2, there will be a celebration with food, Mariachi music and folkloric dancers.

Edited by Claire van Doren, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at spbracci@asu.edu and follow @SophiaBraccio on X. 

×