Geli Cyr is key to ASU volleyball's hot start to season

Junior key player Geli Cyr reflects on the team's improvement this season at 18-2

GeliCyr.jpg
ASU junior outside hitter Geli Cyr (12) serves the ball against Washington at Mullett Arena on Sunday, September 24, 2023, in Tempe. ASU won 3-1.

As a crucial offensive player on the 17th-ranked ASU volleyball team, junior outside hitter Geli Cyr strives to prove ASU worthy of its newfound attention through her highly athletic skills.

Before volleyball, Cyr originally entered the sports scene playing soccer when she was younger until she lost interest. It was then when her mother had her join club volleyball at Texas Advantage Volleyball at eight years old.

In the beginning, Cyr resented volleyball since she was forced to play against 12-year-olds. She was on the verge of quitting until her parents convinced her to stick with it and now she has no regrets. 

Cyr quickly fell in love with the competitiveness of the sport and enjoyed figuring out how to beat different-level teams. In high school, she was a three-year varsity athlete where she led her team to a Texas 6A state title in 2018. She was also named to the 2020 AVCA Under Armour All-American Honorable Mention list and All-Region Team.

Versus Pac-12 opponents this season, she stands second in kills, points and digs on the team. She has 69 kills, 82.5 points and 93 digs during in-conference play.

During her senior year of high school, she started to receive college volleyball offers. It had always been Cyr's goal to play in the Pac-12, so she was willing to go to any school that offered her a spot in the conference. That team just so happened to be ASU and she has loved her time here ever since. 

"It's been a learning and growing experience for me," Cyr said. "I've grown so much here and no matter who I've played next to or coached by I can learn something from someone and that’s how my time here has been." 

Not only has being a Sun Devil changed her life, but in return, Cyr has made a big impact on the success of the team.

Right now, Cyr ranks second in both kills and digs with 200 kills and 173 digs. She also ranks third in assists and fourth in serving aces with 18 assists and 19 series aces. So far this season, she has managed to reach career highs with 16 kills, three aces and 22 digs in a game

"She is a great passer and that's a very key aspect to our game," coach JJ Van Niel said. "She has been doing great on defense and also from an attacking standpoint. It's great knowing we have another strong player to rely on during games."

READ MORE: New ASU women's volleyball head coach to bring unit back to 2023-24 season

Senior middle blocker Claire Jeter agreed with Van Niel knowing she is one of the smarter players on the court and also compliments Cyr as a top passer. Not only that but Cyr can also be known as one of the best hype-woman on the team. 

READ MORE: ASU women's volleyball captain Claire Jeter prevails through injury to reach successful season

"She is naturally a calm person on and off the court, so you know you're doing well when she gets loud and cheers you on," Jeter said. 

Cyr hopes that fans and opponents look at this 2023 team differently than the seasons before. Proving that much has changed in the offseason for ASU to be considered worthy opponents against tougher competitors. 

Cyr feels change is good and understands that it’s not going to be easy to take on, but sticking with it will make you more successful, like it has so far in her career, and this season for Sun Devil volleyball. 

"This team has shown a lot of grace," Cyr said. "It's the most passionate team I have been a part of in my time playing volleyball. In my past years at ASU, I haven't had that but it has been one of the most positive changes for me and the team."

The women's volleyball team has shown much improvement at 18-2 compared to last season at 13-19. The team will travel to play against Utah on Friday and Colorado on Sunday.

Edited by Alfred Smith III, Jasmine Kabiri and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at linunez@asu.edu and follow @laurentahuka on X.

×