Tempe native Mary Shroll uses her competitive spirit to be ASU Volleyball's rock

Returning home from LMU, Mary Shroll plans to use her years of experience on the court for the Sun Devils

ThisMaryShroll.jpg

ASU graduate student libero Mary Shroll (11) serves against Washington at Mullett Arena on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023 in Tempe. ASU won 3-1.

Graduate volleyball player Mary Shroll is returning to Tempe as one of the new pieces to an ASU team that has only lost one game out of their first 18. 

With many years of volleyball experience, Shroll aims to carrying her team to one of the most successful seasons in Sun Devil women’s volleyball history. 

Shroll's passion for volleyball started through her family when she used to play beach volleyball with her family on the beach when she was younger. She started playing at a YMCA club volleyball team when she was four or five years old. She continued playing at Corona Del Sol High School, where she was a varsity player for four years, and a team captain for three of those years. 

During her time there, she earned awards including 2018 MVP Central Division First Team, an Under Armour All-American Nominee, a Tempe All-City Sports Award winner and in 2017,  2A conference Player of the Year and All-Conference First Team. 

She began playing college volleyball at Loyola Marymount University as a libero, following in the footsteps of her two sisters, who also played in college. Head coach JJ Van Niel saw her strong defensive skills and recruited her over the off-season to bring her back home to the desert. 

“It was cool to see her come in as a transfer,” Van Niel said. “She is passionate about Arizona and Arizona State. So far, she has been really good, and it was great to see her come in and see the team see something in her as well.” 

She became a leader on the team quickly, as her teammates voted her to be one of the captains. She said she hopes to lead the team to bringing some championships home.

“This is a group of super hard-working girls,” Shroll said. “It was cool to see once I got here all the players and their skills, and I hope that as a leader, I can bring them all that I've gained in my experience. This ASU team is awesome, and as a native, I hope to win as it’s been fun to be back home.” 

So far this season, Shroll has been impressive defensively. She recently scored a career-high 19 digs in ASU's game against California, counting as the 10th time she has led her team in digs this season. Her teammates trust her to be solid on defense.

“Mary is amazing at what she does and is one of the most defensive players I have ever played with,” senior middle blocker Claire Jeter said. “She just reads so well, and you can trust her to cover any ball, knowing she will be there for you.” 

Jeter and junior outside hitter Geli Cyr said she couldn’t be more grateful to share the court with Shroll and they are excited to see her grow more as a team. 

“I have never played with a libero so quick on her feet,“ Cyr said. “The way she carries herself is something I can only hope to be like one day. It’s nice to know your rock is there no matter what.” 

Not only did they compliment Shroll on her physical skills, but they all brought up how Shroll carries herself on and off the court. She has a natural calm that helps her teammates ground themselves. 

“She keeps it calm and collected while being very level-headed,” Jeter said. “She is a hype woman but knows how to balance the two very well while also holding good communication.”  

ASU is currently ranked No. 19 in the nation while coming off a successful weekend, beating both USC and UCLA for the first time since 2010. Shroll said she can’t wait to continue her journey here at ASU with this new and improved group of Sun Devils as they play to reach the NCAA Tournament. 

“We've all gotten along super well,” Shroll said. “With just the new staff and new players coming in. We’ve created a great team chemistry culture here to play in.” 

Edited by Vinny DeAngelis, Walker Smith, Shane Brennan

Reach the reporter at linunez@asu.edu and follow @laurentahuka on X.

×