ASU renames West Campus to ASU West Valley

The campus's new name goes beyond a geographic indicator to showcase its role in the Phoenix community

221121 ASU West1.jpg

Arizona State University West Campus to be renamed "West Valley," according to Vice Provost Todd Sandrin.

ASU renamed the West Campus to ASU West Valley on Thursday at the Western Maricopa Coalition Best of the West awards dinner in Glendale.

The name was changed "to better reflect its position as a centerpiece of life in the fast-growing area," according to ASU.

In a video announcing the name change, ASU president Michael Crow said the school is growing with the surrounding area, adding multiple new schools and expanding the campus' size and enrollment. He said new schools for engineering, business, and forensics will be included with the expansion of the newly-named West Valley campus.

"The West Valley is evolving at light-speed, new communities, new designs, new industries, new ways of making things happen," Crow said in the video. "It is one of the most important areas of economic and social development in the United States, and we're so happy that our ASU West Valley campus is evolving with the West Valley."

Among its contributions to the region, ASU West Valley announced in March 2023, the addition of three new schools and two new buildings, opening in 2024 and 2025. One of the new buildings is a residence hall with 500 beds.

READ MORE: ASU to establish three new schools on West Campus

The area surrounding the West Valley campus is now home to 1.8 million residents. As the campus approaches its 40th anniversary, Crow said in the video that he is looking forward to a bright future for the campus and said the expansion of the campus was "non-trivial."

"We're basically in the in the mode right now where we're expanding the ASU presence, growing three new schools is non-trivial, adding 10,000 students to being on the campus and living in and around and on the campus," Crow said in the video. "All of that is underway. We're very, very excited about where we are, where we're headed, what the opportunities are."

Edited by Shane Brennan, Walker Smith and Angelina Steel

Reach the reporter at mosmonbe@asu.edu and follow @miaosmonbekov on Twitter.

×