Galleries: Best Sports Shots of Fall 2023

Includes ASU Football, Hockey, Volleyball, Soccer, Triathlon and Swim and Dive

best-sports-2.jpg
As the Fall 2023 sports come to an end, we recap the best shots of ASU Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Triathlon, Hockey and Swim and Dive.

As the Fall 2023 semester comes to an end, so do some of the sports students have enjoyed for the past four months. As ASU enters the Big 12 next fall, here are some of the best shots from the Sun Devil's final season in the Pac-12.

ASU FOOTBALL

ASU Football finished 3-9 this past season in head coach Kenny Dillingham's first year in Tempe. Although this year was disappointing, and some key players entered the transfer portal, many are interested in seeing how Dillingham will prepare for next season as the Sun Devils debut in a new conference.

ASU VOLLEYBALL

ASU Volleyball finished out the season with a final record of 28-7 in one of the best years the program has seen in decades. The team advanced to the NCAA Volleyball Championship Regional Semifinals but was defeated by #1 seed Stanford. The team had a remarkable season led by veterans and another first-year head coach, JJ Van Niel.

ASU HOCKEY

ASU Hockey's current record is 11-3-4. The Sun Devils will continue to play throughout the winter and finish up during the Spring 2024 semester. The team is looking very strong this season and is ranked 13th in the country by the NCAA, led by a plethora of new transfers and head coach Greg Powers.

ASU SOCCER

ASU Women's Soccer finished out the season with a record of 10-7-4. The team made it to the 2023 NCAA Women's Soccer National Championship but lost in the first round at Santa Clara. Though this past season appeared to be a roller coaster, the young team is hopeful for the next.

ASU SWIM AND DIVE

Though both teams are still in season until the spring, Men's Swim and Dive has an undefeated record of 6-0, and Women's Swim and Dive has a record of 3-4. Both teams are hopeful to finish out the final season in the Pac-12 strong.

ASU TRIATHLON

The ASU Triathlon team took home the Collegiate Triathlon National Championship first-place trophy for the seventh year in a row. Though it is still designated as an emerging sport by the NCAA, many are hopeful it will achieve championship sport status in the upcoming years.

Reach the reporter at aheichma@asu.edu and follow @alexis_heichman on X.

Alexis HeichmanMultimedia Director

Alexis Heichman leads the Multimedia Department of the State Press. She is a student studying at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at ASU.

Reece AndrewsAssistant Multimedia Director

Reece Andrews is the assistant multimedia director of The State Press, overseeing the all things multimedia including photo, video, illustration and podcast. He plans to graduate in May 2024 with his bachelor's in sports journalism. Previous roles at the State Press include multimedia managing editor, multimedia senior reporter and photographer.

John CascellaPhotographer

John Cascella is entering his first year as a photographer for The State Press. In 2022, he has shot events from the Arizona Complex League to ASU Women’s Tennis.

×