ASU men's golf falls to UA in first tournament of promising spring slate

The Sun Devils finished third at the Copper Cup in Maricopa after beating USC in consolation play

Sports-ASU-Golf-Copper-Cup

ASU junior Preston Summerhays swings at the Copper Cup at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, AZ on Monday, Jan. 15, 2024. ASU won 8-3.

The ASU men’s golf team teed off its Spring schedule at the Copper Cup with high hopes but finished third out of four teams, losing to University of Arizona.

The Sun Devils had not played a tournament as a team in over two months heading into the first day of match play. ASU came into the weekend as one of the best teams in the country after going 41-8 in head-to-head play while earning podium finishes at four events. The Copper Cup, held at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club, set ASU against UA and UCLA against USC in match play.

Just like the frost that delayed the first tee, it took ASU some time to thaw out and play like the No. 4 team in the country should. ASU led 2.5-1.5 after four rounds of alternate ball, but UA came roaring back in singles matches to win five points. 

Freshman Nick Prieto, sophomore Luke Potter, and graduate student Ryggs Johnston posted crucial singles match wins against the Wildcats. However, a final singles match win by the Wildcats secured a 6.5-4.5 win that sent the Sun Devils off to the consolation round. 

ASU head coach Matt Thurmond was disappointed to lose to the team's biggest rival but said the team will use the loss as a learning opportunity for upcoming tournaments. 

"That was a painful loss," Thurmond said. "As a coach, you’re always looking for learning opportunities. I think fans want wins and losses. And in the end, coaches want that, too. But, you know, that learning and growing is the most important thing, and the wins will take care of themselves."

The team bounced back the next day and only conceded two points against USC to win 8-3. Johnston kicked off the day with a singles match victory, and his teammates one-upped his performance by winning two alternate ball rounds. After going up 3-1, the Sun Devils won four afternoon singles matches to finish third. UA followed up its win over ASU with another victory against UCLA to win the title.

Several Sun Devils had standout performances at the event despite the weekend being spoiled by the Wildcats. Potter won both of his singles matches and won two alternate ball matches alongside junior Kiko Coehlo. Johnston also won singles matches against UA and USC to begin his last semester of collegiate golf on a good note. 

The tournament also marked the anticipated debut of freshman Wenyi Ding. The freshman has excelled at numerous international tournaments and even won the 2022 U.S. Junior Amateur Championship. Now a Sun Devil, Ding made an immediate impact by winning a match as a pair with Josele Ballester against UA.

Ding has only been in Arizona since earlier this month but has quickly won the team's respect. Thurmond said he is a very talented golfer who will boost his team's chances every weekend. In particular, Ding won Coelho's admiration for his precise play.

"He looks like a machine," Coelho said. "He just points and shoots pretty much."

Moving forward, the Sun Devils have six events left before the Pac-12 Championships and a potential run at a national title. ASU's spring slate includes two tournaments in Arizona, a long flight to Hawaii, and an event in Cabos San Lucas, Mexico.

The Sun Devils will strive for a Pac-12 team title for the first time since 2008, along with striving for their first individual championship since Jon Rahm’s 2016 title. ASU has gotten close to glory time and time again by finishing in the top three at the championship for the last three years but has always been bested by another powerhouse program. 

Despite frustrating finishes, the team is confident that things will turn out differently this year. Thurmond's golfers believe they improve each weekend and will be ready for postseason play. The Sun Devils' confidence stems from their breadth of talent, including veterans like Johnston and young phenoms like Potter. 

"Our team is talented, for sure, from top to bottom," graduate student Gabe Salvanera said. "As long as we put in the work in the spring season, we should be good."

The addition of Ding may prove to be the boost ASU needs to get over the hump and sit atop the Pac-12 one last time. The team doesn’t believe this season is championship or bust, but Thurmond does want to capitalize on his last season with Johnston leading the pack. 

More than anything, Thurmond said that he is confident in his golfers because of the countless hours of work he sees them put in week in and week out. ASU’s remaining schedule will allow the team to fix persisting issues that have frustrated Thurmond. 

"We're a confident group; the only thing lacking for us is just a little more on-course confidence getting the wins," Thurmond said. "We're in contention all the time. We just need a few more awesome performances."

Edited by Alfred Smith III, Walker Smith and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporters at jcbarron@asu.edu and Gbarberi@asu.edu and follow @jackcbarron and @Giobarberio1 on X. 

×