ASU club fights climate change, environmental harm with sustainable habits

EARTH Club teaches ASU students how to better impact community amid ongoing battle with climate change

Community-earth-club-impact.png

"Ultimately, our goal is to inform students and develop solutions to environmental issues seen in current day by ensuring sustainability and zero waste."

Amid increased greenhouse gas emissions and melting glaciers, the Earth is suffering due to global warming, among other environmental issues. ASU's Environmental Advocacy, Restoration and Technology for Humanity Club, also referred to as EARTH Club, is all about combating how humans impact the Earth negatively. 

The majority of global warming comes from human activities. According to the United Nations, climate change is caused by the excess use of fossil fuels and the emission of greenhouse gases. Generating power, manufacturing goods, cutting down wildlife and producing food are all contributing factors to climate change.

Through EARTH Club, students can find helpful solutions to better the environment at ASU by practicing conservation and waste reduction.

"EARTH Club itself impacts the community by empowering student-led involvement to making solutions to our current societal environmental issues," said Madison Tomlin, the volunteering outreach coordinator for the EARTH Club a junior studying biology. 

Learning healthier alternatives to everyday tasks that damage the environment is what the club aims to teach. 

EARTH Club meetings are hands-on and offer workshops, most of them teaching D.I.Y. crafts.One meeting was about creating a body scrub with products such as brown sugar and coconut oil so students can avoid buying their own. Other activities included painting on tote bags to promote using reusable bags rather than plastic ones and crocheting plastic bags into reusable items, such as AirPod cases or cup holders. 

"It's a unique idea to learn, and they can learn how to do that so when they're home, they can do it and show other people," said Vivian Hernandez, president of EARTH Club and a senior majoring in biology.

For Kirstin Austin, the club's vice president and a senior majoring in medical studies, one of her favorite previous meetings taught others how to "upcycle" household items such as cans and jars and use them for pen holders and plant pots.

"That was one of my favorite meetings because we got to tell people about all the different uses for household items that they already had," Austin said. "I know I personally went home and did that as well. I found stuff that I wasn't really using and found a different purpose for it." 

READ MORE: ASU's steps toward sustainability in 2023 

The solutions and information provided during meetings can not only have an impact on the environment but also change the way students think. 

"For me personally, it's just nice to know that I'm helping advocate and being appointed to outreach for the community for a more sustainable future and promoting zero waste within the ASU community," Tomlin said.

The club holds its own events as well as collaborating with other organizations such as USG and Plant Club. 

Spreading knowledge through meetings, friends, family, tablings, and events is the heart of the club. The information and activities presented through the club can help students reduce waste or avoid harming the Earth.

"Now that I've been in the club and gotten to be exposed to so many different topics, it's been a great way for me to not only make changes in my life but also let my family know and friends know and help them out as well," Tomlin said.

Environmental harm has become common in many daily activities, but it doesn't have to be. Preventing it starts with open discussion, figuring out solutions and finding a community.

"Ultimately, our goal is to inform students and develop solutions to environmental issues seen in current day by ensuring sustainability and zero waste," Austin said.

Environmental Advocacy, Restoration and Technology for Humanity Club meets on various Wednesdays at the West Valley campus from 5 p.m.–6 p.m.

Edited by Katrina Michalak, Sadie Buggle and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at sjames51@asu.edu and follow @sennajames_ on X.

×