Herberger Institute Day: Celebrating creativity, collaboration, community

The annual event showcases diversity and innovation in arts education through performances, interactive activities and more

The Echo-Herberger-Institute-Day.jpg
ASU students and faculty gather for dinner along Forest Mall on the Tempe campus for Herberger Institute Day on Thursday, Oct 11, 2018.

The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is preparing for a celebration of collaboration and innovation on Feb. 21 as it hosts its annual Herberger Institute Day at the Tempe campus and online from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

This year's event promotes inclusivity, interdisciplinary exchange and artistic excellence. It will be an immersive experience for students, faculty, staff and the wider ASU and local high school communities. 

This is the first year the event has opened up to groups outside university students and staff, marking a significant milestone for Herberger Institute Day.

Angela Storey, Fine Arts Academic Coach at Chandler Unified School District, expressed gratitude for the opportunity extended to Chandler Unified students.

"This may be the first time for some of our students to be on a college campus," Storey said. "We hope it will help open their eyes to the thriving arts and culture departments on campus."

Attendees can participate in over 60 workshops, each offering a unique way for exploration and expression. From beginner piano to exploring AI in art creation, the workshops reflect the institute's commitment to showcasing how individuals can engage with the arts.

The event will also feature a Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising workshop hosted by Cullanete Bloom, an associate teaching professor at the School of Art. 

This workshop provides a glimpse into the diverse pathways of artistic expression within the creative industry, aligning with the Herberger Institute's broader vision.

A Herberger Institute employee said throughout the day, there will be performances showcasing the talent and creativity of the Herberger Institute community. It's a moment to celebrate the power of artistic expression and its ability to unite people from diverse backgrounds.

"The goal is to try to explain that you can still be utilized in the arts in so many different ways," Danielle Pivonka, the executive administrative support specialist for the Herberger Institute, said. 

Herberger Institute Day is a testament to this belief, providing a platform for individuals to explore, create and connect in ways that transcend traditional boundaries.

The festivities will begin with a block party featuring live DJs, interactive tabling activities, games, trivia and a photo booth. It's a moment for the community to come together, share a meal and revel in the joy of creativity.

"An inviting and engaging photo capture environment will welcome the diverse audience," said Carlos Tarazon from the photo booth company MomentWave. "Our unique platform provides a live photo view for guests to enjoy as they orient their poses for their turn in front of our camera."

The event organizers, led by associate dean for the Office of Culture and Access Melita Belgrave, pursue an extensive vision for the event, aiming to construct an environment where creativity knows no bounds.

Belgrave's absence from the event due to illness emphasizes the team's dedication to organizing the event. Pivonka, who has stepped into the role of program coordinator in Belgrave's absence, is determined to ensure the event's success.

"I've had to step into the role of program coordinator even more than I already was," Pivonka said.

According to Pivonka, Belgrave envisions Herberger Institute Day as a beacon of creativity and community engagement. 

"Just hearing the way that she's talked about it (the event) and the things that we've discussed, I know that she imagines this day continuing in ways where more and more ASU students can participate," Pivonka said.

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Walker Smith and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at asvargo@asu.edu and follow @asvargo on X.

×