'A Taste of Melanin' presents Silent Disco at the ASU Art Museum

Kick off Black History Month at the ASU Art Museum by listening to tunes and browsing art

The Echo-Silent-Disco-Event.jpg

"All aim to engage participants in a multi-sensory exploration of the roots and evolution of Black music, fostering unity and understanding across communities."

The ASU Art Museum will host a free silent disco event organized as part of the Black History Month Series "A Taste of Melanin" on Feb. 2 from 8 p.m. to midnight.

The 18+ event will be hosted by radio host Dana Cortez and DJ Automatic and promises an educational experience on the impact of Black culture through the world of music. 

Michael Jackson, founder of "A Taste of Melanin," believes the event is more than a celebration. 

"I want the community to understand the Black culture a little bit more," Jackson said.

The silent disco will be a platform to educate and enlighten, offering attendees a chance to explore the often overlooked history of Black culture's contribution to the world.

At the event, participants will receive headphones after checking in with an ID to immerse themselves in a mix of African rhythms and segments of protest music

Jackson said the event aims to "let people know what Black culture has done for the world" by inviting everyone, irrespective of background or ethnicity, to celebrate and learn about the profound influence of Black culture on rhythm and blues.

Drew Shaw, director of programming for "A Taste of Melanin," believes that learning is an event and a process for everyone. Through the learning process, he said he hopes attendees will "fall in love with something we didn't know we'd fall in love with."

The multiple events planned by "A Taste of Melanin" throughout the month allow attendees to immerse themselves in celebrating Black culture.

Jackson believes exposure to different forms of art and music is a tool for broadening horizons.

"Attendees embrace the opportunity to discover something new and fall in love with it," Jackson said.

The silent disco features food trucks, non-alcoholic drinks and a scavenger hunt that will turn the museum into an interactive discovery space.

"How the scavenger hunt works is we have music facts and posters throughout the museum, and (attendees) interact with our Instagram; if you answer the questions correctly, you can win a 'Taste of Melanin' box," Jackson said.

The box's contents may include a comfortable T-shirt, a warm sweater or a cozy pair of socks.

The silent disco is just the beginning of a series of events designed to cater to the interests and schedules of a diverse audience during Black History Month. All aim to engage participants in a multi-sensory exploration of the roots and evolution of Black music, fostering unity and understanding across communities.

Future events include: Movie in the Gallery, Trap Karaoke (21+), This is Melanin and "A Taste of Melanin" Restaurant Week.

The silent disco intentionally occurs the night before the opening of Twin Flames: The George Floyd Uprising from Minneapolis to Phoenix, encouraging visitors to learn about history.

READ MORE: Twin Flames exhibition bridges memorials from Minneapolis to Phoenix

Jackson said people from all backgrounds are invited to join in this celebration of diversity and experience the richness of Black culture.

At the ASU Art Museum, the beats will resonate to celebrate Black culture through a journey of learning, unity and falling in love with the music of Black history.

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Walker Smith, Angelina Steel and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at asvargo@asu.edu and follow @asvargo on X.

×