State Press Play: Defining Moments for College Degrees, Hockey and Safety

Tune in to hear about what goes into swapping majors, upcoming hockey games and reactions to ASU's transparency about crimes near campus

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 1.02.26 PM.png
"State Press Play." Original illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021. Additional theme elements added to each weekly episode.

State Press podcast transcripts are produced by a third-party transcription service and may contain errors. The official record for State Press podcasts is the audio. Please listen to the audio as this transcript may only contain summary forms of the given episode.

Nate Gyore:

Welcome back to the podcast! In this episode, We will discuss the games that will make or break ASU’s hockey season. 

Tate Daniels:

This week, we answer the question, “Should I change my major?”

Nate Gyore:

I’m Nate Gyore.

Tate Daniels:

I’m Tate Daniels, and this is State Press Play.

Nate Gyore:

Also, we discuss ASU’s transparency on reporting and informing the student body of crimes near campuses.  

Tate Daniels:

But first...

Nate Gyore:

State Press podcast reporter Abby Bessinger answers this question...

Abby Bessinger:

Thinking of changing majors? Well, that might have an impact on your job search post-college. I’m here with community reporter Ginia McFarland to break down the daunting question. Thanks for coming on the podcast, Ginia!

Ginia McFarland:

Thanks for having me.

Abby Bessinger: 

So, you spoke with io Fielder, who thought about changing his major. What led him to make that decision? 

Ginia McFarland:

Well, when io entered ASU, he loved engineering and cars and just mechanics. However, he hated the workload that came with his major. And so after taking a business class, he fell in love with the business school's structure and resources and ended up switching. 

Abby Bessinger:

How does changing your major impact your job eligibility after college? 

Ginia McFarland:

Well, after speaking with a professor of entrepreneurship, Todd Altomare, he said it won't make a huge impact unless we see a consistent change in majors over a long period of time. And business majors are still the most common and most versatile. According to Altomare, wind turbine technicians and nurse practitioners are expanding their fields by 45%, which is much more than any other field right now. So go be a wind tech.

Abby Bessinger:

I love that. 

To hear more from McFarland, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: MANY ASU STUDENTS CHANGE THEIR MAJOR DUE TO JOB MARKET, WORKLOAD

Nate Gyore:

ASU hockey is on a roll this season! These next few games are crucial to how this season will pan out, as ASU goes up against Alaska Fairbanks in their next four games. I’m here with State Press sports reporter Justin Carter to give us the breakdown for these upcoming games. Thanks for coming on the podcast, Justin.

Justin Carter:

Appreciate you having me.

Nate Gyore:

So, for those who are not well-versed in hockey, if ASU wins these next four games, where will this take them? 

Justin Carter:

Well, this these next four games, they don't guarantee anything. So for ASU, they've got eight games remaining, and they're at 19th in the PairWise rankings, PairWise if for those that don't know, that's who just the rankings that decide who makes the tournament and up in the top 16 To make the tournament as us an independent team, not a conference team. So they don't have a conference tournament at the end of their season to help boost their rankings like a lot of other teams do. Next year, they're gonna move to the NCHC, which will give them kind of that boost in that competition to help push them but because they've been building this program for so long, they're currently an independent team. So they need to kind of get ahead of those rankings. So that they have that pad at the end of the season to make the tournament, like these other teams.

Nate Gyore:

How have ASU and Alaska Fairbanks’ seasons looked so far? 

Justin Carter:

... Obviously there's there's good things that we can look at, and there's some some negative things we can look like but it doesn't really matter what's happened up to this point, because what really matters is these next eight games and and how they play, and that could decide their season. I would say the competition that ASU has played has been a little bit better, but you can't definitively say that ASU is a better team than Alaska Fairbanks in any given game, especially when in two weeks they're going to Alaska on their home ice. So, a good season for both teams, both teams looking for that playoff spot, still that NCAA tournament spot. So, I mean, it could go either way.

To hear more from Carter, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: WITH POSTSEASON HOPES IN JEOPARDY, ASU HOCKEY LOOKS FOR CRUCIAL WINS OVER ALASKA FAIRBANKS

Tyler Abrams:

ASU prides itself on it’s commitment to student safety on campus. However, recent events nearby ASU’s Tempe Campus have cast doubt upon student safety off-campus. Emily Fox-Million gives us more. Thanks for Coming on the podcast Emily,

Emily Fox-Million:

Thank you, Tyler.

Tyler Abrams:

So Emily, what is the primary issue that students are facing with how the university is handling their safety?

Emily Fox-Million:

So first and foremost, we have to acknowledge the two shootings that happened recently. There were two shootings: one at El P's Market on Lemon and one on at Fat Tuesday on Mill. Students I talked to were mostly unaware of the shootings, but generally desensitized. The one thing that they did care about, though, was the university's lack of communication about the shootings. Just to be totally clear, they were off-campus shootings, but they were at Tempe locations considered popular for ASU students.

Tyler Abrams:

So there seems to be a communication issue going on where students are not receiving the type of response for the university that they want. What are some of the specific grievances that students have with the underreporting of these last shootings that happened?

Emily Fox-Milion:

Absolutely. So, students thought that when the university under-reports or dismisses shootings that take place off, but near campus, they're contributing to anxieties that students are already facing. The best that the university can do is be straightforward with the student body in general. I think that the issue is across all campuses. Ultimately, ASU is a huge university with four different campuses all miles apart. Safety of students shouldn't just matter on Mill Avenue in Tempe. It should also matter on Roosevelt in Phoenix or other popular spots on the West and Poly campuses.

To hear more from Fox-Million, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: OPINION: THE UNIVERSITY HAS A DUTY TO INFORM STUDENTS ABOUT GUN VIOLENCE CLOSE TO CAMPUS

Nate Gyore:

And that’s all for this week’s State Press Play. I’m Nate Gyore.

Tate Daniels:

And I’m Tate Daniels. State Press Play is produced by our podcast desk editor, Gabriella Fernbaugh. Original music by Ellie Willard and Jake LeRoux.

Nate Gyore:

Special thanks to our managing team, Alexis Heichman and Morgan Kubasko. 

Tate Daniels:

You can check out all these stories and more on statepress.com. See you next week, Devils!

×