State Press Play: Study abroad opportunities and Black History Month events

Tune in to hear about study abroad opportunities at ASU and events around campus that celebrate and honor Black History Month

sp play.png
"State Press Play." Original illustration published on Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021. Additional theme elements added to each weekly episode.

State Press podcast transcripts are produced by a third-party transcription service and may contain errors. The official record for State Press podcasts is the audio. Please listen to the audio as this transcript may only contain summary forms of the given episode.

Abby Bessinger:

In this episode, we’re diving head first into Black History Month with a campus guide that’s your golden ticket to the coolest events and clubs at ASU. 

I'm Abby Bessinger.

Tyler Abrams:

I’m Tyler Abrams, and this is State Press Play.

We also discuss the amazing stories and experiences of ASU study-abroad students. 

Abby Bessinger:

Interested in studying abroad at ASU? State Press community reporter Senna James is here to break down what great experiences studying abroad can offer and how you can get involved. Hi, Senna! 

Senna James:

Hello!

Abby Bessinger:

So, you spoke with Amelie Land, a senior majoring in French with a math and business minor who studied abroad in France for a year. What was her greatest takeaway from that experience?

Senna James:

Yeah, Amelie told me about her studying abroad and how it opened her eyes to new perspectives around the world.

Amelie Land:

Just to get more of like a immersive experience of life in France and how people actually live their day to day lives. But I loved like my time there. I think the year that I was there was just like, great and opened my eyes to a bunch of different ways of living and just really like uniting my love for France and seeing how life is there.

Senna James:

Afterwards, she became a recruiter for the Global Education Office where she helps other students decide on study abroad programs. 

Abby Bessinger:

That's so neat! So, I think the number one concern for students when it comes to studying abroad is the cost. What does ASU offer for students who want to study abroad but don't have the financial means to? 

Senna James:

ASU has the Global Education Office. This has multiple resources like budgeting, financing, scholarships, program types, basically, anything that has to do with studying abroad, Lindsay Lohr, marketing coordinator at the Global Education Office, said that they're here to help any students find their dream program. And we'll be right there with you through the process.

To hear more from James, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: HOW SUN DEVILS CAN GO GLOBAL: A GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS

Tyler Abrams:

As Black History Month kicks off this week, that means that throughout all of February, students will have the chance to participate in events hosted by the Black Student Union that highlight contributions by African Americans in the U.S. Emily Fox-Million sat down with members of the Black Student Union about the importance that these events hold on ASU’s campus.

Thanks for coming on the podcast Emily.

Emily Fox-Million:

Thanks Tyler!

Tyler Abrams:

So Emily, what kind of events are happening on campus that students can attend?

Emily Fox-Million:

There's so many events happening on campus there movie nights, game nights, there's also panels and speakers and also music. They're all being hosted by a bunch of different Black student organizations on campus.

Tyler Abrams:

That's wonderful for ASU students. Black History Month seems to be a very important celebration of African American contributions to society. But what does the Black Student Union at ASU think that the real importance of Black history is? 

Emily Fox-Million:

Absolutely, so I spoke to Tia Reid, the president of the downtown Black Student Union, and she said that these events are so much more than about inclusion. They're also about educating their non-Black peers on important people and the impact that Black people have had on the world around them. She also said that celebrating Black History Month on a college campus is unique because of the inherent diversity here.

Tyler Abrams:

Yeah, it seems very important that people at ASU have the chance to converse with different cultures and learn more about people outside of their word worldview.

Emily Fox-Million:

Absolutely and a lot of people are coming from hometowns where there isn't that much diversity. So stepping onto a college campus is a great opportunity to learn.

To hear more from Fox-Million, please tune in to State Press Play.

READ MORE: HONORING RESILIENCE: A GUIDE TO ASU'S CELEBRATION OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Abby Bessinger:

And that’s all for this week’s State Press Play. I’m Abby Bessinger.

Tyler Abrams:

And I’m Tyler Abrams. State Press Play is produced by our podcast desk editor, Gabriella Fernbaugh. Original music by Ellie Willard and Jake LeRoux.

Abby Bessinger:

Special thanks to our managing team, Alexis Heichman and Morgan Kubasko. 

Tyler Abrams:

You can check out all these stories and more on statepress.com. See you next week, Devils!

×