Annual music competition bands with ASU men's basketball to amplify attendance

The change was made to promote and support the Sun Devil men's basketball game against UA so both events could gain traction

Community-battle-of-thebands.jpg

Right Rosemary vocalist Jules Schubert, Denko guitarist Jordan Beadle, and Practically People bassist and vocalist Jane Harris performing at the annual Battle of the Bands competition on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2024 in Tempe.

Blasting music from electric guitars, booming from drums and captivating vocals and lyrics is what makes the annual Battle of the Bands the ultimate competition, but the semifinal came with a twist this year. 

The semifinals of Battle of the Bands were hosted outside of Desert Financial Arena on Feb. 28. The performances were played outside rather than inside the Student Pavilion like last year. 

The event offered free Taco Boys, a basketball hoop competition and a meet and greet with Udoka Azubuike, a Phoenix Suns player.

The Programming and Activities Board wanted to change up the usual Battle of the Bands and combine it with a tailgate before the rivalry basketball game so both events could gain traction, according to Hunter Beitz, the event director of PAB and a sophomore studying political science and business law.  

"That allowed us to bring more people and have more interactive activities," said Alan Neri, the PAB vice president of programs and a junior studying construction management.

Competing bands included Denko, Right Rosemary, Wicked Sister, Practically People, Second Hand Obsession and Metallic Malik. Each played two songs of their choice.

Three bands were chosen by judges to move on to the finals; the bands chosen were Right Rosemary, Denko and Practically People, who will compete at the final competition on March 20 at Change the World.

Right Rosemary was one of the first bands to play, performing Black Sheep by Metric and an original song called "Shoes." Vocalist Jules Schubert competed last year with another band and was drawn back to the event because of their positive experience. 

Right Rosemary performing at the annual Battle of the Bands semifinals at the SE entrance of Mountain America Stadium on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2024, in Tempe.

"I joined Battle of the Bands because last year it was a lot of fun to just get onto a big stage with lots of lights and be in such a cool space where everyone was there to watch us perform," said Schubert, who is a senior studying music learning and teaching and popular music. "That was super cool to just get the chance to compete for the chance to perform later on."

The new group is finding all types of places to play, including Phoenix's Rebel Lounge.

"We're just trying to get out there as much as we can and spread the name, and at the very least just have fun, because we all love performing," said Kyler Paden, drummer of Right Rosemary and a junior studying popular music. "So if nothing else, it's just great to play here and be among other talented musicians."

The new Battle of the Bands scene helped draw attention to the performers, with all types of people showing up. According to Paden, the standing concert environment brought more energy to the event, unlike last year, when attendees sat in chairs. 

The only downside to the competition being outside was the possibility of poor weather and rain. However, good conditions persisted.

The annual Battle of the Bands brings the opportunity for students to perform in front of crowds and for students to appreciate the production and participate in activities. With the new changes to the event, students came for all different reasons, but were able to enjoy what was offered.

No matter the differences, what counted the most was the opportunity to perform and enjoy music.

"At the end of the day we got to jam out, and that's what matters," Schubert said.

Edited by Katrina Michalak, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at sjames51@asu.edu and follow @sennajames_ on X.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on X

×