When traditional becomes unconventional: Pros and cons to the four-year major

As students contemplate alternative major routes, what are the benefits to staying in school longer than needed?

Community-students-staying-inschool.png

"Most people do not come back to college. You kind of just get a little extra time to wander on campus and get to know people."

With more than 800 undergraduate and graduate degree options, there is becoming less of a traditional path to earning a degree and entering the workforce after graduation. 

Traditionally, an undergraduate degree is completed in four years, but there are emerging options for students to obtain that degree in less time. Others are taking advantage of the full four years in order to experience all that ASU has to offer.

"You just get an extra year to do whatever you want," said Aaliyah Scott, a freshman studying psychology. "Take that little time to travel or get a head start on paying off your debt. I think it could be beneficial."

Scott plans to graduate in four years in hopes of pursuing a career in nursing. She said taking all four years is beneficial for her career choices due to the extensive curriculum the major demands.

READ MORE: The real world impact of the social media 'mean nurse' stereotype 

According to Scott, taking four years to obtain a bachelor's degree can be more helpful for social development. The additional time offers students more opportunities to interact and network with those around them in preparation for their careers after graduation.

"It really depends on the person; for some people, it could be really beneficial building that social skill," Scott said.

According to Riley Gale, a sophomore studying forensic psychology, potential hires who do accelerated degrees may stand out if they complete more credits in a shorter time because employers might view them as being able to handle more work at once. However, he is unsure if it has any real impact on hiring decisions.

"The way I look at it is, if they did it faster, that means they probably did more credits at once," Gale said. "They were able to specify their time; they would be able to do more at once." 

Possible reasons for students to pursue an accelerated degree are related to cost and time savings. However, according to Bruce Cain, former Arizona business center director at Farm Bureau Financial Services, time spent in college is not a significant factor in the hiring process.

"It doesn't matter to me how long it took them to get through college," Cain said. "It was more about their skill set, their talent, what their interests were and what they were looking for, and all of that comes out in the interview."

READ MORE: Many ASU students change their major due to job market, workload 

For some students such as Gale, coming in with credits can save time on degree completion. Gale is on track to graduate in two years with his bachelor’s degree and decided to continue his college education after his time in the military to gain better job opportunities.

"I’m trying to go U.S. Marshal, so I needed a degree to get higher on the hiring process, so then they said forensic psychology is what I should pursue," Gale said.

Cain said finding a mentor in the desired field is best for networking when pursuing a career. According to Cain, developing a mentoring relationship can help expand connections and allow students to learn more about the field.

When deciding on accelerating a degree or continuing on the traditional track, the college experience is a factor that should be taken into consideration.

"You just get more of a college experience (on the four year track)," Scott said. "Most people do not come back to college. You kind of just get a little extra time to wander on campus and get to know people."

Edited by Katrina Michalak, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at glmcfar1@asu.edu and follow @ginia_mcfarland on X.

×