Students are in luck to learn about Irish culture with local historical hub

The Irish Cultural Center and McClelland Library offers events, books and genealogy to promote Irish heritage

Community-St-Patrick's-Day-ASU-Traditions

The An Gorta Mór, The Great Hunger Memorial, at the Irish Cultural Center and McClelland Library on Tuesday, March 12, 2024 in Phoenix.

Tucked away in the heart of downtown Phoenix behind a plain gray fence is a building with stone walls and bistro lighting that reflects a scene out of 15th century Ireland, a place where people stop to gather and laughter from generations fills the air. 

The Irish Cultural Center and McClelland Library have brought traditions, language, events and exhibits to locals and ASU students to spread education on Irish culture. 

Having a place for Irish culture to be celebrated has brought generations together while educating the community. 

"So much of Irish culture is steeped in old Celtic traditions. So even if you are hyper-Christian or hyper-religious, you can still connect with some of those old parts of our history and it's really beautiful," said Ciara Archer, the operations director for the center.

Maricopa County boasts a large Irish population of roughly 374,304 people, according to a recent government census

"You don't think of Irish people when you think of Arizona, but we're here and we're proud," said Archer.

The center opened 25 years ago with a fraction of the amenities it has now. Over the years, unique artifacts, authors, speakers and a genealogy floor have been added to connect people to the Irish culture. 

"We encourage questions, we encourage people to interact with all of us and to ask what you might need from us or what we can connect you to," Archer said.

Throughout the year, the center hosts over 100 events, such as the St. Patrick's Day Parade and a Winter Solstice event. 

"There will be lots of good food, good times," said Mallory Melton, who has been involved with the center for many years. 

Melton has been involved with the McClelland Library since she was in high school. She was also part of the Arizona Colleen Program, a local organization that spotlights Irish culture and heritage.

"I can definitively say that program changed my life, (I'm) not sure if I would have the courage to actually go and live in Ireland for two years without that program," said Melton.

The library gets multiple generations involved through reading programs and research materials. The center attracts a wide audience from young children to their adult counterparts. 

"We're the largest Irish library on the West Coast. We have a full archive, which is being digitized so we have a digital archive with items that are unique," said Kelly Bechtel, a library manager.

The library is home to a full-color Book of Kells. Melton recommended that visitors check out the rare book along with other exhibits.

The three-floor library offers a unique experience on each floor. The first floor is filled with books for the readers. Bechtel said she couldn't pick a favorite book, but loves the nonfiction section.

"There's a whole world of history and culture and adventure in that nonfiction," said Bechtel.

Moving up a floor, the second floor is dedicated to a genealogy lab. Patrons can find help from center volunteers to use the computers, books, maps and other tools to learn about family history.

"It's pretty special to have a place like this here, and (it) helps to teach people about Irish connections," said Melton.

The third floor has a lookout and more historical pieces to continue the expanding knowledge about Irish culture within Arizona. 

With more events to come throughout the year, volunteers encourage all ages to come visit the Irish oasis tucked away on Central Avenue. 

"(It) gives everyone a chance to learn, enjoy and just have fun and be part of a broader community with something that can just bring people together," Melton said.

Edited by Katrina Michalak, Alysa Horton and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at glmcfar1@asu.edu and follow @ginia_mcfarland on X.

×