ASU freshman guard Braelon Green enters transfer portal

Braelon Green entered the transfer portal after only one season in Tempe, where he averaged 0.9 points and 0.8 rebounds in 5.4 minutes per game over 25 appearances

Sports-Braelon Green enters transfer portal.jpg

ASU freshman guard Braelon Green (2) guards USC freshman guard Bronny James (6) at Desert Financial Arena in Tempe on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024. ASU won 82-67.  

Freshman guard Braelon Green entered the transfer portal on Wednesday. He is the second Sun Devil this offseason to announce his plans to transfer. His announcement comes one day after junior guard Jamiya Neal announced plans to leave Tempe. 

Green didn't see much of the court in his first season, playing 5.4 minutes per game over 22 appearances in which he averaged 0.9 points and 0.8 rebounds.

Green played six minutes – but did not score – in ASU's 90-57 loss against Utah in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament.

When asked what Green's and fellow freshman Akil Watson's impact could be on the team next year, coach Bobby Hurley said he wasn't sure. 

"They didn't really get a lot of minutes to show what they're capable of doing," Hurley said after the Utah loss at the Pac-12 tournament. "That's going to be a tough question for me to answer right now." 

READ MORE: ASU crushed by Utah in first round of final Pac-12 Tournament

Green played only three games this season with over ten minutes on the court. He played 13 minutes twice, in wins against Vanderbilt and SMU, and he scored a season-high five points in both games. 

Green was a three-star prospect coming out of high school, according to 247Sports. He was ranked as the No. 156 player in the 2023 recruiting class. 

Hurley will have to find yet another guard after losing two in the past two days. 

Edited by Shane Brennan, Sadie Buggle and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at vdeange1@asu.edu and follow @vdeangelis2024 on X.

Vinny DeangelisSports Reporter

Vincent Deangelis is a full-time reporter for the sports department at The State Press. He has previously worked for Arizona PBS and AZPreps365.com. 

×