The curtain of distraction did not work this season

ASU students wore costumes and created skits at every basketball home game this season to distract opposing players during their free throws to minimal effect

Sports-curtain-of-distraction.jpg

ASU’s Curtain of Distraction in action against Washington at Desert Financial Arena, on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2023 in Tempe. ASU lost 84-82.

As an opposing player lines up on the free throw line in Desert Financial Arena, out of the corner of their eye, a curtain slides out from behind the basket. As they get the ball and go into their free throw routine, students in costumes and wigs act out skits to distract them and make the shot more difficult to focus on. Alongside the curtain is a loud student section yelling during the foul shot. 

This is the "curtain of distraction" that Sun Devils faithfully lean on for both the men's and women's basketball teams. It has even featured Michael Phelps, who participated in a skit that resulted in two missed free throws in 2016.

But it doesn't really make a mathematical difference. After magnifying the stats, it seems that its contribution to the 2023-24 men’s and women’s basketball season, wasn’t as successful as some may have hoped.

For the men’s season, when the opponent shot free throws in the first half, away from the curtain and the student section, they averaged just above 64% shooting. During the second half when they shot in the face of the curtain, they shot nearly 68% on average. 

Regarding the women’s opponents, shooting in the first two quarters of their home games with a lack of distraction, they shot an average of about 53% from the line. Then in the last two quarters with costumes and Sun Devil student roars, they shot almost 71% on average. It's important to note their opponents shot significantly more free throws in the second half in total. 

Even though the curtain had an off-season this year, it still helps get the fans involved, which makes for a better performance. Head coach Bobby Hurley said after the home matchup against USC how important a good student section and a good crowd can be. 

"I want to give a shout-out to our crowd, our student section,” Hurley said. “It was the second highest student attendance in school history… just really excited to have our players have the opportunity in that environment." 

Harry DeCecco, a senior studying computer science, is the Head Chair for "The Curtain of Distraction." He described it as a way to add some home-court advantage. 

"For every free throw that is shot toward the student section, we’ll bring out a curtain on some PVC pipe and basically we develop a skit for every shooter," DeCecco said. "Every time that a shooter will come to the line we’ll bring out a new custom skit based on current events that are happening to try to get them to look over and distract them from making the free throw."

Edited by Shane Brennan and Angelina Steel. 

Reach the reporter at hjsmardo@gmail.com and follow @HenryJSmardo on X.

×