Hobbs signs student activity bill into law despite pushback from ASU clubs

HB 2178 will now let students pick and choose what organizations they want to include or exclude from being funded by their activity fees

Politics-student-activity-bill-follow-up.png

"We as Americans, we have an absolute First Amendment right to say whatever (we) want. What you don't have the right to do is force me to pay for that."

Gov. Katie Hobbs signed a bill into law last week that allows students to choose which University organizations receive money from their activity fees. The bill will take effect at some point this fall, depending on when the legislative session ends. 

HB 2178 stipulates that every student who is charged tuition should be given "reasonable opportunity" to direct their pro rata share of student fees away from organizations of their choosing. If students do not pursue this option, the pro rata share can go toward "any individual university-recognized student organization or club or to programs that are open to all students," according to the bill.

The bill's primary sponsor Rep. Alexander Kolodin, R-Scottsdale, said he was "gratified" the bill made it into law after a year of effort. 

"I'm somewhat honored beyond my deserts that I could be the one to get it across the finish line," Kolodin said. "I was glad that at the end of the day, this important issue of conscience didn't end up being partisan." 

READ MORE: ASU student organizations denounce student activities bill in state legislature

Kolodin said his Jewish background was a motivating factor for pushing forward the legislation in light of campus protests throughout the conflict in Gaza.

"We as Americans, we have an absolute First Amendment right to say whatever (we) want. What you don't have the right to do is force me to pay for that," Kolodin said. "Now Jewish students at ASU, as well as a whole bunch of other different students that may have a student organization engaged in speech that violates their deeply held convictions, have a right to say, 'You know what, I don't want my money going to that student organization.'"

Previously, Associated Students of ASU, including USG and GPSA, distributed the student fees to organizations around campus without direct student input. ASASU passed a resolution to oppose HB 2178 based on concerns that it would diminish student organization diversity of viewpoints. 

Several members of USG-T did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Clubs including Students for Justice in Palestine, Young Democrats at ASU, Mock Trial and several other University student organizations also came out in opposition to the bill's passage.

"Any alteration to our funding that occurs without the input of ASASU or lacks proper consideration for the programs and initiatives it oversees will lead to enduring adverse effects for all ASU students and its affiliated clubs and organizations," the ASASU Resolution text said. "Such changes have the potential to disturb the funding balance, giving preference to larger clubs and organizations while constraining the growth and opportunities for smaller ones."

Edited by Grey Gartin, Shane Brennan and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at mosmonbe@asu.edu and follow @miaosmonbekov on X.

×