UPDATE: Jaden Rashada commits to Georgia

Standout redshirt freshman QB Jaden Rashada only played in three games last season and now joins the the powerhouse Bulldogs.

sports-rashada-transfer-portal.jpg
Now ASU redshirt freshman quarterback Jaden Rashada (5) warming up during a timeout on Saturday Nov. 18, 2023 at Mountain America Stadium in Tempe. ASU lost 49-13.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jaden Rashada committed to Georgia one week after entering the transfer portal. 

Rashada announced the move on social media on the morning of April 25.

He started only two games for the Sun Devils in his first season. 

Rashada, son of former ASU defensive back Harlen "Shark" Rashada, is now the second highly touted quarterback to leave Tempe in the past few seasons. In 2022, Jayden Daniels entered the portal and landed at LSU. In 2023, he became LSU's third-ever Heisman trophy winner and is a top prospect in the NFL Draft.  

Despite the limited opportunities on the field, Rashada's early performances for the Sun Devils were filled with promise. He completed 44 out of 82 passes, amassing 485 yards and four touchdowns in that span. 

"To ASU, I want to start off by thanking my teammates," Rashada said in an announcement on X. "We shared a bond that I'll remember forever. Love each and every one of you guys. Thank you for the time we spent together, and wish you guys the best of luck." 

Rashada also thanked many of the staff members he said made his time in Tempe easier at ASU, including various members of the coaching staff and even cafeteria staff. 

Sun Devil head coach Kenny Dillingham reposted Rashada's post and said, "Always rooting for you!!! Go find your spot and go be great like I know you can." 

After Rashada fell to injury last season, Dillingham was left with a shortage of viable quarterback options, compromising ASU's offensive fluidity. 

As the roster stands today, redshirt senior Trenton Bourguet is the quarterback with the most experience, having started a few games last season in Rashada's absence. However, with Dillingham's offseason recruiting efforts, he added redshirt freshman Sam Leavitt from Michigan State and walk-on freshman Navi Bruzon to the carousel. 

It remains to be seen who will be under center in ASU's season opener against Wyoming on Aug. 31, but it is safe to say we will have more of an idea at ASU's spring game on April 26. 

Edited by Shane Brennan, Walker Smith and Angelina Steel. 

Correction: A previous subhead had the incorrect amount of games Rashada played in. It was updated at 7:08 p.m..

Reach out to the reporter at asmit263@asu.edu and follow @AlfredS_III on X. 

×