A 'full circle' moment: ASU alumnus is the new Tempe city attorney

Eric Anderson, who graduated from what was then called the ASU College of Law, has taken over for Sonia Blain as Tempe City Attorney

Politics-Tempe New City Attorney.png

New City Attorney Eric C. Anderson outside of Tempe City Hall on Thursday, March 21, 2024 in Tempe. 

The City of Tempe has appointed Eric Anderson as the new city attorney, who is taking over the role after Sonia Blain retired.

The City Attorney's Office is comprised of 26 staff, 17 of whom are attorneys, according to the city website. The city attorney is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel for Tempe City Council and other city bodies in both criminal and civil law.

"The City Attorney's Office is committed to providing the highest quality legal representation possible to meet the present and future needs of the City of Tempe in an efficient and effective manner," according to the city attorney's website

READ MORE: Proposed housing development could be built on 'Student Book Center' in Tempe

Anderson said he appreciates the career opportunity and described the feelings he felt when he was appointed to the role.

"It all kind of came full circle," Anderson said. "I went to law school in Tempe and am excited to be back."

Anderson graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology with a degree in biology before attending ASU Law. 

He will provide legal advice to the mayor, city council and city management and oversee all legal matters for the city, including civil litigation and prosecution. 

Anderson is now in charge of making sure all the actions and ordinances carried out by the Tempe City Council are within the "legal lane," he said.

"As an attorney, what you have to do is check your personal opinions at the door," Anderson said. "You're there to provide legal guidance to (ensure) that the city, the decision makers, make those decisions in accordance with the legal requirements."

"My goal going to law school was to have a position similar to what I'm doing now, like in municipal law or something where you're working for an organization rather than my own firm," Anderson said.

Originally from New York, Anderson brings nearly three decades of legal experience to Tempe. His background includes starting a law firm in Scottsdale in 1995, Anderson, Hurwitz & Harward, P.C., with two of his ASU Law classmates after graduating in 1994. He said starting their own firm was "challenging at times," but "a good experience" overall.

"I always took every opportunity to work with all the different (city) departments, so you can handle matters, issues, legal cases and stuff," Anderson said. "You gain experience that's not just legal knowledge, but you learn how the sewers run, you learn how the public works and (how) the streets operate."

READ MORE: Tempe locals react to redevelopment of historic Danelle Plaza

Anderson also helped broker a deal between Scottsdale and Rio Verde Foothills that allowed a rural community in the Foothills to receive water from Scottsdale after months of turmoil between both communities. 

It stemmed from a petition from Scottsdale residents to the city manager and council, which asked the city to end water services for Rio Verde Foothills residents. The dispute eventually led to Gov. Katie Hobbs signing Senate Bill 1432 in June 2023, creating the Rio Verde Foothills Standpipe District.

"We selected Eric Anderson for his ability to find resolutions to tough issues," according to an email from City Manager Rosa Inchausti. "His work on the Rio Verde water challenge is just one example of the skills he has honed during his nearly 30 years of legal experience. His talents will be a great asset to the Tempe community." 

Anderson gave a shoutout to his dad, from whom he learned many of the traits he uses today.

"He ran a small woodworking shop in upstate New York ... He was the owner of the business, but still went in a half hour early to sweep the floors every morning," Anderson said. "So I think that what I would say is stay humble, stay modest. You're never too good for anything."

Edited by Grey Gartin, Sadie Buggle and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at gnavar10@asu.edu and follow @GhadielN on X.

×