Students tune in to study with a range of music

As finals week looms, listening to music while studying helps with productivity

The Echo-whats-your-study-music.jpg

"As we approach the end of the academic year, it's time to figure out your study habits and patterns. Explore different genres, especially older classical music styles, as you let your brain work. Music may just be the thing you need to tune in to as this semester tunes out."

Finals week is almost here. We know what that means: nights of locking into studies, solving practice problems at the library and the once-in-a-blue-moon breakdown the night before. 

But the grind doesn't stop. And neither does the music. Across ASU campuses, students are streaming hours of comfort songs and focus tunes.

For Medha Peddireddi, a freshman studying computer science, music is a way to keep her energized while studying. Peddireddi said the only time she listens to music is while studying.

"I listen to rap music, something very energetic and upbeat, to keep my mind going while studying," Peddireddi said.

Not everyone takes to their favorite rap album while hitting the books though. Some students fall back on a less explored genre: classical music.

"I especially enjoy listening to classical music from the Romantic era," saidChase Baugh, a freshman studying urban planning and Spanish. "It's not just the beauty of the music that sticks out to me; it's the fact that there's no words in them."

This is a common practice. Music with words can often be distracting when trying to accomplish specific tasks, such as reading or writing. But music without words tends to give students' brains something else to focus on instead of trying to decipher words in the song, such as the tune and ambiance.

Aadhya Sridharan, a freshman studying media arts and sciences, sorts her music style based on the classes she's studying for.

READ MORE: Spotify's 'Daylist': Enhancing vs. diminishing the art of the playlist

"I get distracted by the words in music when reading or writing," Sridharan said. "So instead, I listen to Mario Kart music."

That's right — video game music. This music is designed to enhance productivity and motivate focus, leading many students to listen to video game music to become more productive learners. 

Baugh also mentioned that he has tried Mario Kart music while studying but only needs it in the worst of times. 

"I don't like anything too melody-based, either," Sridharan said. "Or classical music that I actually like, because then I'll focus on the music instead of studying." 

Listening to music while studying is definitely an acquired taste. For some, it may be too distracting, while others are OK with their thoughts in silence as they study. But if you want to start, learn from those who have been through the process of figuring out what's for them.

"I used to listen to singy indie-pop or slower music," said Peddireddi. "But I noticed I would doze off earlier and be less productive."

Baugh mentioned that he started listening to music while studying for noise cancellation, but found it also serves as a positive mental distraction.

"I turn on noise-canceling on my AirPods 'cause I don't want to hear anyone else," Baugh said. "But then it's too quiet, so I play music to combat that. And sometimes, you have to have something to distract you to focus because the anxiety is always present."

Listening to music while studying isn't for everyone. But if it is, Sridharan recommended that listeners stay true to themselves. She had to shift her style away from upbeat music to be more productive.

Peddireddi recommended listening to music you wouldn't listen to for another activity. If you listen to music before you sleep, don't play that music while studying because your brain will associate that music with sleep instead of being wide awake. 

As we approach the end of the academic year, it's time to figure out your study habits and patterns. Explore different genres, especially older classical music styles, as you let your brain work. Music may just be the thing you need to tune in to as this semester tunes out. 

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Alysa Horton and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at gachatht@asu.edu

×