ASU hires Jamea Jackson as next women's tennis coach

Jackson was announced as the program's new head coach nearly a month after Sheila McInerney's retirement

sports-new-tennis-coach-2

New ASU women's tennis head coach Jamea Jackson at the Lenz Tennis Center on Saturday, April 20, 2024, in Princeton, N.J.

On June 4, ASU hired a new women's tennis head coach for the first time since 1984. 

Newly hired athletic director Graham Rossini announced Jamea Jackson as the program's next head coach. Jackson takes the helm after former head coach Sheila McInerney's 40-year tenure and retirement last month. Jackson is only the third new women's tennis coach since 1954.

"An exciting day for our women's tennis program welcoming Jamea Jackson as our next head coach, following legendary head coach Sheila McInerney," said Rossini in the official announcement. "We're excited about the energy and spirit she brings to our program and most importantly her experience and how she'll translate that as a head coach who's competed at the highest level of the sport all over the world."

McInerney left big shoes to fill after coaching 49 All-Americans, building a 589-350 record and compiling 35 straight NCAA Tournament appearances. Jackson now looks to carry the torch McInerney lit four decades ago. 

READ MORE: Women's tennis head coach Sheila McInerney retires after 40 years

"I am thrilled to join the ASU family. I look forward to helping the student-athletes become the best version of themselves on and off the court," Jackson said in the official announcement. "It's an honor to follow storied head coach Sheila McInerney and I relish the opportunity to carry on her legacy of success and tradition of excellence."

Jackson heads to Tempe after spending the last two seasons as the head coach at Princeton. Jackson led the Tigers to back-to-back Round of 32 appearances at the NCAA Tournament and a pair of Ivy League Championships. Jackson's efforts earned her the title of 2024 Ivy League Coach of the Year.

Her resume also includes nearly a decade as a national coach with the United States Tennis Association and four years as an assistant coach at Oklahoma State. During her time with the USTA, Jackson led the U16 team to the Jr. Billie Jean King Cup Team Championship in 2019.

"Jamea came back to finish out her education while growing into a coach at Oklahoma State and had success with the UTSA before joining Princeton," said Rossini in the official announcement. "She's very connected throughout the tennis community, coming from the Ivy League and brings us a tremendous person to build on the momentum of Sheila's success over the last forty years."

Editor’s Note: There is a factual error in the final quote from Rossini. Jackson was a coach for the USTA, not the UTSA.

Edited by Andrew Dirst, Sophia Ramirez and Alysa Horton.

Reach the reporter at jcbarron@asu.edu and follow @jackcbarron on X. 

Jack BarronSports Editor

Jack is a senior studying sports journalism. This is his fourth semester with The State Press. He has also worked at Radio Sucesos and XPR Sport Experience in Argentina.

×