Introvert's Advocate: It Runs In The Family

I think it’s extremely interesting to learn why people are the way that they are. I took a psychology class last year (I know, clearly I’m an expert now,) and I learned some psychologists believe personality is inherited or developed by those closest to a person during early childhood.

I’m pretty close with my family. Growing up, my cousins were some of my closest friends and I got along pretty well with both of my parents (and I continue to do so.) My sister and I bicker a lot, but at the end of the day we’d basically do anything for one another. So, I think it’s safe to say my family definitely shaped the way I am today.

My mom and my sister are the extroverts of the family. I joke that my sister was “way cooler” than I was in high school because she put herself out there more than I did. My mom always talks to strangers and makes friends in a matter of seconds so it’s easy to see whose personality my sister picked up on.

I, on the other hand, inherited my introverted personality from my dad. He has always been content with having a few friends and minimal social plans. Before going to 90 percent of non-family parties or events he’ll grumble for days about how he doesn’t want to go. Something I clearly relate to.

However, sometimes I do react to things the way my mom would. Every now and then I’ll think about something I said/did and think, “Oh-my-god I sound just like my mom!” She taught me the importance of small talk and kindness to strangers, which are two social skills I’m glad I have.

Honestly, I’m thankful for the blend of introversion and extroversion in my household. I wonder how different my life would have been if I had grown up with two introverts or two extroverts as parents. 

I don’t think the impact would necessarily be positive or negative, but definitely a different personality from the one I have now.

I’m very thankful two people with very strong personalities raised me. I don’t know if I would have the confidence or ambition to pursue a career in journalism and have gotten to where I am today without them.

×