Sorority dances for diabetes awareness

A new sorority on campus pumped up the bass in true dance-party style during the first Alpha Gam Pearl Jam dance competition Saturday afternoon in front of Old Main.

The event focused on spreading awareness of juvenile diabetes, also known as Type 1 diabetes, which is a genetic condition that can never be outgrown, said Michelle Thompson, an education sophomore and philanthropy chair for Alpha Gamma Delta.

Alpha Gamma Delta raised $2,400 for juvenile diabetic researchers, including those from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Thompson said.

“I absolutely consider it a success,” Thompson said.

The five fraternities that participated raised $100 each in competition entrance fees in addition to the money raised by informal donations and door fees from people who attended the event, she said.

About 300 people attended the event and were entertained by the ASU Swing Dance Club, the Arizona State Tango Club and the Downtown Dance Team. Anyone who attended the event was welcome to participate in an impromptu tango competition.

“We made it a little bit of everything,” Thompson said.

Lambda Chi Alpha won first place for their entertaining and flamboyant performance. They also raised the most in additional donations outside their entrance fee.

Sororities were invited to the event but did not respond, Thompson said.

She said she organized the event because she has lived with diabetes since she was 10 years old.

“I struggled a lot with it growing up,” Thompson said.

About 23.6 million children and adults in the United States also live with some kind of diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Foundation.

These people manage their blood sugar levels by giving themselves insulin shots before meals. The insulin allows sugar in the body to enter cells and keep the body functioning.

Thompson was drawn to the sorority when it was re-established on campus last semester because its main charity cause is juvenile diabetes.

When she found out the sorority supported juvenile diabetes during recruitment, she was really excited.

“My heart dropped and I thought I needed to do this,” she said.

Thompson is the second child in her family to be diagnosed with diabetes. Her older sister, Gina, was diagnosed when she was 9.

Spreading support to others was part of the mission of the dance competition.

“I don’t want anyone to go through what I went through,” Thompson said.

Regularly self-medicating can be socially awkward and difficult for kids to explain to their friends, Thompson said. “When you are with your friends you don’t want to take out a needle and stab yourself,” she said.

Heather Kitsko, Alpha Gamma Delta adviser, said Thompson’s commitment to the cause was “remarkable.”

“I’ve never met someone who is more passionate about a cause,” Kitsko said.

Journalism sophomore Sarah Katz said the event had personal significance for many members.

“I know a bunch of us have family members who are diabetic,” she said. “My grandfather is diabetic, so it hits home for me.”

Reach the reporter at mary.shinn@asu.edu

×