Student bets on success with poker site

ASU student Chandler Bator is taking a chance with an entrepreneurial project, hoping his gambling and social networking website blossoms into a full-blown career.

The finance sophomore developed the idea to create a legal gambling website that caters to college students and creates what he says is an online, risk-free social environment.

The site, called Your College Poker Club, is accessible to those 18 years and older and aims to connect students by promoting intercollegiate interaction.

Illegal online gambling sites became an issue once the Internet became popular, and Bator says his legal gambling site will provide a safe and effective means for college students to interact through the games they love.

Bator said he worked out the legal aspects of running a gambling site by registering it as a sports and recreational website.

Although unauthorized online gambling sites have been outlawed, students are not protected from loose enforcement and continued illegal activities, Bator said.

After researching online gambling, Bator said he contacted Charity Stakes, a small operation based in Scottsdale that donates all proceeds from its online poker website to charity.

“I just wanted information at first about Charity Stakes and how to apply a profit model to the idea of online gambling,” Bator said. “I wanted to make a gambling site to allow students to have fun without the cost of addiction or debt.”

Bator spoke to Charity Stakes CEO Barbara Bucca and collaborated with her and her son, ASU alumnus Anthony Bucca, to create a legal, subscription-based website that would be accessible to students nationwide.

“We are trying to create a U.S.-based company in which students will be able to spend their money in a responsible manner, while gaining opportunities to win cash and prizes,” Bator said.

Private funding provided through Charity Stakes and other investors made it possible to obtain prizes and cash incentives, like a seat at the World Series of Poker Tournament valued at $10,000, Bator said.

Your College Poker Club also received publicity through the National Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization, an entrepreneurial organization that is connected with 400 universities nationwide, though ASU is not included.

The gambling website has targeted 160 schools nationwide with three to five representatives hired to promote the growth of the website, Bator said.

The representatives work on commission and receive $3 per member that they get to register for the website, Bator said. Members pay dues of $20 per month.

Bator said he thinks the website will provide many jobs for students while promoting more safe and practical gambling practices.

Chinese and economics junior Danica Harvey said the website sounds interactive, interesting and safe for college students.

“I don’t see many negative factors regarding the website because it’s legal,” Harvey said.

Creative writing and psychology freshman Claire Nusbaum said online gambling could be more preferable for some students.

“It’s easier to give your money away in person, when you have little time to think twice compared to gambling online,” Nusbaum said.

Although a few students said the website could be interesting, others, like economics senior Adam Barban, said they wouldn’t get involved with such a site.

“I wouldn’t take part in it because of what it is affiliated with,” Barban said. “I don’t want to get involved in gambling regardless of the low risks.”

Despite differing opinions, the website is reaching out to a larger population of students nationwide.

Bator said he hopes to take this idea of online gambling to a greater extent and also hopes to make a career out of it.

“This is the greatest entrepreneurial opportunity that I can receive, and I’m excited to mold the experience,” Bator said.

Reach the reporter at asjohn10@asu.edu

×