While the association is nowhere near as blatant as Captain America’s, few contemporary fictional characters are as fixated in the hearts and minds of the American people as the legendary Superman. Let’s face it: He was our first, the literal embodiment of the superhero template that countless others would try to follow.

From his “Detective Comics” (later known as “DC Comics”) debut in 1938, the “Man of Steel” has been the United States’ Kryptonian darling. Portrayed as a paragon of character and strength, he has served as a moral compass for generations of children and adults. As the motto went in the 1950s “Adventures of Superman” television serial, Clark Kent, or Kal-El, as he was known on his home planet, fights for “truth, justice and the American way!”

And yet, it seems “the big blue Boy Scout” has turned Redcoat.

British Actor Henry Cavill has been cast to don the iconic red and blue suit in the upcoming 2012 film “Superman: Man of Steel,” according to The Huffington Post.

That’s right: America’s super-powered son is now from over the pond.

To date, Cavill’s only real notable role has been Charles Brandon, first Duke of Suffolk on Showtime’s “The Tudors.” This role couldn’t be any more British, with the series focusing on the more dramatic affairs and trysts of England’s monarchy of centuries past. Duels, funny clothing and Cockney accents have become trademarks of the series.

According to The Times, director Zach Snyder hopes the film will serve as a contemporary reboot to the Superman origin story.

Knowing Cavill’s history, does that mean we should expect to see Clark Kent walking around Smallville, Kansas as though he’s just got off an episode of “Skins?” Are we going to watch as he chooses Blur over Bon Jovi or football over, well – football?

Or more importantly, if all our comfortable xenophobic fears turn out to be true, is a British Superman really all that bad?

I say nay.

The British taking-up of all-American roles is hardly a new concept. Dr. House would hardly be as entertaining without that London wit Hugh Laurie brings to the table. In fact, Christian Bale, who hides his British accent with impeccable skill, is a key pillar to the success of Christopher Nolan’s “Dark Knight” franchise, and, let’s face it, by far the best fit for Batman. Sorry, but Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer just looked like your dad putting on a latex bat suit. And George Clooney: well, he had bat nipples.

Hollywood has gone as far as taking British entertainment properties and then haphazardly throwing an American coat of paint on them. See the later seasons of “The Office,” NBC’s “Coupling,” and a recent (and horrible) “Skins” adaptation by MTV.

At the end of the day, Hollywood greedily suckling upon the udder of British creativity is only a sign pointing toward the bigger issue. As a country, we must come to understand this simple fact: The British, for all intents and purposes, are simply better than we are.

Whether it be education, health care, music, taste in coats or having a queen, Big Ben towers over Lady Liberty any day. Britain’s “Planet Earth” always beats out the evil lady’s narration from “Holes.”

So, let’s take a note from Superman and make the jump. Reapply for colony status as soon as possible. Maybe, just maybe, they’ll take us back.

Reach David at dsydiong@asu.edu

×