It seems wrong to leave a newspaper as some of the biggest news in years unfolds.

In my three years at The State Press, my goal has always been to facilitate and enrich the conversation within the ASU community, and our work this year has done that with great ambition.

Even two days ago I would never have expected to write about Osama bin Laden’s death in The State Press, let alone report almost immediately how Sun Devils around the country were reacting. When the news broke, we did what we do best: show you the uniquely meaningful response from students.

This response included two students who donned flags and wrote patriotic messages around campus after hearing Sunday’s news. The response included contributions from ASU students in New York City and Washington, D.C., who wanted to share their first-hand reports of celebrations with friends back in the Valley. The response even included photos from a State Press photographer who happened to be at Pennsylvania State University when a rally broke out following the announcement that troops killed bin Laden.

My experience has shown me that the ASU community is special in that way. The differences among 70,000 students at four campuses can seem huge, but having one place for Sun Devils around the world to turn to always brings us back together.

And that’s what’s so important in all of this: your story. Every single day ASU students are taking part in history. Some of you are working on groundbreaking research. Others dedicate time and energy to helping the community. Still others work tirelessly to make sure the student voice is heard on matters like guns on campus, budget cuts and tuition increases. (Unfortunately these are ongoing issues, but Arizona students have some great advocates on their side.)

These stories need to be told, and that’s where we come in. The grim reality is that not all news is rational, clear or simple. We started the semester with a front page on the Tucson Tragedy and finish it with one about war and terrorism, but at every step along the way our work has been worth it to tell your stories.

I couldn’t say goodbye to The State Press without encouraging you to get more involved in it. We’re more than just a student newspaper; we’re a news organization run by students. We have a print paper, a dynamic website, an online magazine and a huge social media presence. This will all be in the extremely capable hands of the next generation of student leaders, and you won’t want to miss out on what they’re doing.

Apply to work in the wide range of jobs we offer, get unprecedented writing and leadership experience, let us know what you and your friends are doing in the community and write letters to the editor to keep us in line. When the next big news breaks, whatever it is, you’ll gain more from it just by being more involved.

Finally, to everyone I’ve worked with over the years here at The State Press: thank you. After three years of long nights in our dungeon newsroom I can’t imagine a group of people more fun, more intelligent and more dedicated than you all. Your enthusiasm has made this not just a job, but a job well done.

Adam Sneed

Editor in chief, 2010-2011

Follow The State Press on Twitter or like us on Facebook.

×