The Sun Devil Athletics office has big plans for the future of ASU athletics, and the school will soon take a big step toward making those plans happen.

According to asudevils.com, ASU is planning to announce former president of the Portland Trail Blazers Steve Patterson as the Chief Operating Officer of Sun Devil Athletics and Managing Director of the Arizona State Sports Group.

The newly created position is the work of ASU president Michael Crow, and will oversee all Sun Devil Athletics operations, as well as help guide the program through the planned expansion and development, which includes a new football stadium.

"There is a major need for this type of position at Arizona State at this specific time and that's what Dr. Crow believed after looking at this very carefully," said ASU spokesperson Virgil Renzulli to asudevils.com. "You have the new Pac-12 media rights deal, the creation of a stadium district, and a numerous other challenges all coming together at the same time.”

ASU is looking to Patterson because of his experience with the Trail Blazers, the Houston Rockets during their 1993-94 championship season and the Houston Texans.

Current Vice President for University Athletics Lisa Love will keep her position and work alongside Patterson. A new board of senior administrators will also be created in order to help with the decision-making process.

The announcement is expected as soon as this week.

×