Video: Step show entertains, educates Phoenix audience

Stepping at ASU from The State Press on Vimeo. (Videography by Daryl Bjoraas)

The Iota Phi Theta Arizona chapter alumni hosted a step show Friday with help from ASU members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council.

The purpose of the show was to entertain and educate people about the history of stepping and NPHC.

Stepping is a mix of traditional African dance, military style lineup and current dance trends.

“The art of stepping itself is not something someone made up in their basement; it has a cultural value to it,” said Filmon Tekeste, manager of Phoenix Art Museum and an Iota Phi Theta alumnus.

The event was held to dispel stereotypes of stepping.

“We are trying to get rid of the stereotypes of stepping like in the movies, ‘Stomp the Yard’ and ‘Drumline,’” member of Iota Phi Theta Antoine Jones said.

Gathering in the main hall at the Phoenix Art Museum, attendees were told the history of stepping and of the NPHC.

“Each individual sorority (and) fraternity has its own adopted styles,” Tekeste said.

Iota Phi Theta performed first, setting the bar high for the night as they formed into a human jump rope.

Kappa Alpha Psi followed. KAPsi showed the smoother side of stepping by using their canes as a representation of their more divine style.

The women of Delta Sigma Theta followed with chanting. Their words and movements reflected the goal: “Strong like an elephant.”

The last performance of the night, Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, sang about the soul each fraternity has.

The women of Lambda Theta Nu as well as other non-performing organizations spoke about their chapter and its work.

Lambda Theta Nu biology senior Diana Alarcon said the event was important because a lot of people do not know what stepping is or what its origins are.

“Getting the word out of how it all started and how it got to the Divine Nine and now even how it’s getting to the multi-cultural organizations is very important,” Alarcon said.

Lambda Theta Nu criminal justice junior Niki Tapia enjoyed the diversity of the show.

“I like how (stepping) open(s) the eyes of others who are not a part of it to see how diverse it can be and show that you don’t have to be of a certain race to join,” Tapia said.

The night ended with members of the audience learning how to step from members of Iota Phi Theta.

Iota Phi Theta member and California State University, Dominguez Hills student Demar Cullors said the event opened a lot of peoples eyes to what they do as an organization.

“It’s not just entertaining but it brings us together. It brought a common bond where everybody in that room at that point in time was on the same page, the same wave link,” Cullors said.

Reach the reporter at shurst@asu.edu

×