Sand Devils receive at-large bid, make first NCAA Tournament

ASU qualified for the NCAA Tournament as a No. 12 seed after finishing the regular season at 21-9

Sports-beach-volleyball-tournament-selection.jpg

ASU sophomore Daniella Kensinger jumps to spike the ball in a match against GCU at GCU Beach Volleyball Stadium  on Saturday, Mar. 30 2024, in Phoenix. ASU won 4-1.

The ASU beach volleyball team continues to make history and is Gulf Shores-bound with a first-ever selection into the NCAA Tournament. 

After a very successful season led by new head coach Kristen Rohr, ASU closes out its Pac-12 journey with a 21-9 record, tying for the most wins in a single season in ASU history. 

Before their selection, the Sun Devils had the honor of hosting the last Pac-12 Championship on Tempe sand. They finalized their regular season with two more ranked wins against No. 8 Cal Berkeley and desert rival No. 18 UA.

This led to the most ranked wins in a single season for ASU with an 11-9 record, and helped them win two games at the Pac-12 Championship for just the third time ever. 

ASU had a lot to tackle to get to where the team is today, entering the season with half a new squad. Yet, the team found success with the help of some of its top players this year.

Ava Williamson, a stand-out freshman on the team, set the second-longest win streak in program history at 11 in a row.  The only win streak longer was set this season by her pair sophomore Arden Besecker with a win streak of 12. Williamson and Besecker rank 11th for most single season wins as a pair in program history, going 15-3 this season. 

READ MORE: The overlooked Sand Devils have become Pac-12 dark horses

As the No. 3 pair, senior Taryn Ames and graduate Lexi Sweeney are the only senior pair to play together all season. Both were named to the Pac-12 All-Tournament Team with their victorious efforts in the championship, the fifth ASU pair to reach this achievement. They also rank fifth for most single season wins as a pair, going 20-9 this season. 

The No. 12 seed Sun Devils will head to Gulf Shores, Alabama for their first tournament game against No. 5 seed Cal Poly on April 3. If the Sun Devils advance, they will face No. 4 seed Florida State or No. 13 seed Washington on Saturday.  

Edited by Henry Smardo, Abigail Beck and Alexis Heichman.

Reach the reporters at linunez@asu.edu and follow @laurentahuka on X.

×