Tennis prepares for tough competition from University of San Diego

The No. 20 ASU women’s tennis team takes on the University of San Diego in Tempe on Sunday.

“The team is ready to go,” coach Sheila McInerney said. “Playing two good teams like Texas Tech and USC ratcheted up our competition level.”

The competition was fierce last weekend when ASU ended up losing 6–1 to rival USC.

“There’s no easy one,” McInerney said. “Now the girls know what they did well and what they need to work on.”

This week, the Sun Devils are not hampered by injuries, as they have earlier this season, and everyone is comfortable with the team organization.

The past few days have been filled with conditioning exercises and game simulation in preparation for the Sun Devils’ next opponent.

Last time these two teams met, it was at a tournament in the fall.

“Honestly, San Diego had the upper hand against us,” McInerney said. “We better have a good week of practice.”

One thing on the Sun Devils’ side is their schedule, as they don’t travel for a tournament until late February.

“We have two months at home to get into the flow of things,” McInerney said. “By then, they’ll be itching to be on the road.”

For now, the team is keeping its sights set on getting through this weekend.

“We were disappointed after losing to USC, but we’ll certainly be ready for San Diego,” McInerney said. “When the competition’s better, you play better, too.”

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu

×