Twin Sister and Ava Luna give a mellow show

Ava Luna performs at the Crescent Ballroom Tuesday. (Photo by Cheman Cuan)

While some students camped out in libraries on Tuesday night, a select few opted to travel to downtown’s Crescent Ballroom to see the unique compositions of New York bands Twin Sister and Ava Luna.

While Brooklyn’s Ava Luna set up, the audience knew they had much to look forward to in the large band’s set. The seven-member opener played a slow-paced set of jazz-inspired songs. The contrast of the soulful voice from lead vocal Carlos Hernandez's soulful voice and his supporting female singers created a distinct mixture of highs and lows throughout the set.

In addition to sampling older tracks, the collective also played a slew of their better-known songs, such as “Past the Barbary” and “Cement Lunch.” The band managed to keep the crowd moving and shaking despite the low-key set, a tall order given the scarce crowd.

Large bands such as Ava Luna may have the difficult task of performing in unison. However, the challenge with matching energies on stage can prove even tougher. As a seven-musician group, being able to play in sync is pinnacle. Ava Luna did just that, showing how rewarding having more musicians can be on the sheer sound of a band.

Long Island's Twin Sister followed their opening act by quickly jumping into their intimate pop performance. The set fit in with the audience, as a Tuesday night show attracts fewer ASU students than a typical weekend bill at the venue. Mostly playing music from their recent album, "In Heaven," the show drifted from song to song until the show casually wrapped up.

Overall, the show was quaint, comforting and somewhat clandestine. Not many shows have an atmosphere of such inclusivity as this concert did. The two touring acts made the crowd part of something special and intimate.

The concert was a night well spent. Though toned-down, Ava Luna and Twin Sister made an otherwise chilly night warm.

Reach the reporter at mbobman@asu.edu

×