Devil Dish: FOX Sports 1 is a wannabe ESPN

The announcement of the new network, FOX Sports 1, within the last week may be great for FOX and their affiliates, but not for the sports world.

While the channel will televise college basketball, football, the UFC, NASCAR and soccer starting on Aug. 17, its goal of becoming another ESPN is far from realistic.

Sure, I prefer FOX to CBS when watching football on Sundays. But ESPN's Monday Night Football is still the best, with NBC as a close second.

We've all grown up with FOX as the mainstream channel to show the MLB playoffs, NFL on Sundays, NASCAR and even college basketball from year to year.

Of course, it's known for broadcasting UFC on FOX lately.

ESPN, however, is on another level from what FOX could ever be. Outside of the normal SportsCenter, Monday Night Football, NBA and collegiate sports, the shows surrounding primetime are what keep many viewers locked in.

I mean one of FOX's shows in primetime from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. ET is, "Rush Hour," with Regis Philbin as the host.

Huh?

I don't tune in to sports channels to watch a Regis-and-Kelly style of show. No thanks. They've already lost my attention.

As an avid viewer of ESPN and all of their shows, I don't see myself switching to FOX Sports 1 anytime soon. And I would be surprised if anyone outside of soccer fans else does.

Reach the columnist at msterrel@asu.edu

×