State Press Weekly: The Arab Spring Today

SPW_Banner

Week of March 4

For more than two years the process of democratic change has been complex - especially in Egypt - where the people protested for the removal of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak with the help of the Egyptian military. Mubarak resigned from his office on February 11, 2011, empowering the revolution. However, democratic change was seized by the powerful Islamic and political organization The Muslim Brotherhood soon after the revolution, putting forth their candidate for president, Mohamed Morsi (Freedom and Justice Party) who won the Egypt's 2012 presidential election. Since then, President Morsi has taken actions to give himself ultimate powers under the constitution, avoiding any dissenting voices from the citizens of the country.

Today, many in the country are saying the revolution is not complete and must continue until true reform take place that represents all Egyptians.

SP Weekly sits down with Egyptian political talk show host and Hubert H. Humphrey fellow at the ASU Walter Cronkite School Of Journalism Kareem Awadullah to discuss where Egypt is now politically and where it is going with parliamentary elections taking place next month (April), the curious silence from the United States and how the "Arab Spring" continues in the Middle East in a different form.

×