Point guard Austin Nunez is returning to the Sun Devils, reunites with Bobby Hurley

Nunez announced Wednesday he was re-signing with the Sun Devils for the next basketball season

Sports-nunez-returns.jpg

Then ASU freshman guard Austin Nunez (2) celebrates after hitting a 3-pointer against the UCLA Bruins at Desert Financial Arena on Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023, in Tempe. ASU lost 74-62.

After a season away at Ole Miss, sophomore point guard Austin Nunez is back in Tempe for the 2024-25 season.

The former four-star recruit played for ASU under coach Bobby Hurley in the 2022-23 season, averaging 16.2 playing minutes per game. He is the 16th highest-rated recruit in ASU basketball history.

"Can't explain how I feel, I'm just happy I'm here," Nunez wrote in an Instagram post

However, once Nunez transferred to Ole Miss for his sophomore season, he averaged 6.7 minutes per game.

Nunez scored 126 points as a freshman for the Sun Devils, averaging 4.5 points per game. At Ole Miss, he scored 21 points and averaged .7 points per game.

Nunez scored four points in his best game as a Rebel. He scored fewer points in his best game in a Mississippi jersey than his average as a Sun Devil. He also played three more games for Ole Miss than Tempe.

Nunez entered the NCAA transfer portal with a "do not contact tag," meaning that he had to initiate contact with the schools he could transfer to after the end of his sophomore season. He contacted ASU just over a month after Hurley signed a contract extension.

Nunez won't rejoin some old teammates, such as junior point guard Frankie Collins, for the 2024-25 season. Seven Sun Devils entered the transfer portal after this season. Four players have currently signed letters of intent. 

Playing under his old coach at ASU, Nunez should be able to have a productive junior season back in the maroon and gold.

Edited by Katrina Michalak, Walker Smith and Caera Learmonth.

Reach the reporter at Gbarberi@asu.edu and follow @Giobarberio1 on X. 

×