Short Leash Food Truck's Permanent Location Doesn't Dissapoint

Photo by Luu Nguyen
Photo by Luu Nguyen

Photo by Luu Nguyen Short Leash Hot Dog started off mobile, but now serves its gourmet hot dogs on a "sit and stay" basis at its downtown Phoenix location.
Photo by Luu Nguyen

Ever since my departure from the suburbs of Arizona and into the city, I have been exposed to an abundance of creativity around every corner of downtown, and all of the culture that goes along with it. From beautifully detailed brick wall murals, to coffee shops with hanging chandeliers that nearly touch the floor. So it was no surprise to me when I heard about a restaurant that specializes in gourmet hotdogs with a twist.

Short Leash Hotdogs gained its recognition when it opened up a mobile hotdog eatery and participated in Food Truck Friday. Every Friday, the line for its food truck is consistent, and each of its costumers leaves the pickup window with a splash of excitement on their face as they look down at the hot dog they have just ordered.

The company has made it its mission over the years to serve a unique twist on a classic favorite. It eventually expanded what was once just a food truck into a sit down restaurant as well. I made it my mission to see what they were all about.

Upon our arrival to the restaurant, my companion and I were welcomed by a wall mural of the friendly face of its logo - a sitting puppy with a short leash and good taste, clearly.

From the Sunny to the Lady, Short Leash Hot Dog offers an array of intricate hot dogs that offer a fun time for hot dog lovers. For those wanting to play it safe, the shop still offers the timeless original hotdog. Photo by Luu Nguyen From the Sunny to the Lady, Short Leash Hot Dog offers an array of intricate hot dogs that offer a fun time for hot dog lovers. For those wanting to play it safe, the shop still offers the timeless original hotdog.
Photo by Luu Nguyen

As we walked into the joint, we were welcomed by the hum of laughing customers and a warm embrace from the meals they were devouring. The restaurant has a retro feel with a modern take. Geometric patterns on the wall and dim lighting perfectly fits the casual vibe, and there is great music to go along with it.

It was a difficult decision to make when looking at the menu. Do I play it safe and order an original dog, or embark on a new hotdog journey?

Some of the hotdogs I contemplated was the Sunny: a chicken wiener topped with grilled seasonal fruit, prosciutto, arugula, goat cheese, honey and cracked pepper. Or also the Lady: your choice of wiener topped with chipotle cream cheese, sautéed onions and fried pickles.

Well, I went ahead and listened to what my gut wanted - peanut butter. I ordered the Bear: a spicy beer wiener, with peanut butter, Cracker Jacks, smoked gouda cheese, bacon and BBQ sauce all wrapped in a warm flat bread with a side of cole slaw.

The logic behind these ingredients being put together is unknown, but nothing that delicious needs a logical explanation. It was certainly like nothing I’ve ever tried before. The perfect combination of sweet and spicy with the crunch of the caramelized popcorn went hand in hand. The bacon and peanut butter were perfect complements of each other. And for those 20 minutes, I was in pure food heaven, all for just $8!

If you’re not much of a hotdog enthusiast, not to worry, the menu allows you to build your own hotdog with even the most minimal of items.

You can try Short Leash on Food Truck Fridays, located at the Phoenix Public Market on 721 N. Central Ave, or eat in at their restaurant located on 110 East Roosevelt Street

The name is certainly fitting because once you try one of their hotdogs, you’ll be kept on a short leash.

Reach the writer at Brianna.randazzo@asu.edu

×