ASU student dies after falling from 922 Place balcony

An ASU student died Sunday morning after falling from the 10th floor balcony of 922 Place near the Tempe campus, according to Tempe Police.

Nonprofit leadership and management student freshman Naomi McClendon fell from the balcony at 922 Place at approximately 2:40 a.m.

McClendon, an out-of-state student from Kansas, died from her injuries at the hospital after both Tempe Fire and Police arrived on scene to investigate the incident.

Police believe alcohol was involved.

Surveillance camera footage from 922 Place shows the Taylor Place resident entering the lobby appearing to be previously intoxicated, said Tempe Police Spokesman Sgt. Michael Pooley. The footage shows McClendon and her friends speaking to a person in one of the apartments, he said.

The group then went to a vacant room. McClendon's friends left her in the apartment and when they returned, they could not find her.

Pooley reports that this is because she had already fallen.

Surveillance video shows that McClendon straddled the 6-inch thick railing of the balcony. She tried grabbing onto railing early on during her fall but failed to catch herself.

University spokeswoman Julie Newberg issued an official statement Monday morning.

"We are deeply saddened by the death of ASU student Naomi McClendon," she said. "ASU extends condolences to her family and friends and is offering counseling services to those who knew her," she said.
Check back with The State Press for updates.

Reach the reporter at chelsey.ballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×