Diamondbacks disappoint in opening series in Sydney

I’ve lived in Arizona for 15 years and watched the Diamondbacks for almost as long, so the Dodgers rivalry means something to me.

The season opener in Australia was an opportunity for the Diamondbacks to come out, on neutral ground, and show their rivals that the year ahead would be a battle that should not be taken lightly; however, after losing both games of the two game series that message was not transmitted.

Of course first baseman Paul Goldschmidt continued to be the star but right-hander Trevor Cahill and the bullpen struggled with control and made the pitching staff look sloppy.

I always believe in the Diamondbacks and know that the season is just beginning, but if there’s ever a time to make a statement it was the opening games against the Dodgers.

This is not to underscore the difficulty of hitting against Clayton Kershaw, or playing a talented Dodgers club in general, but the way the Diamondbacks played in the opening series did not put them in my highest graces as a fan.

The Dodgers came out, as always, looking to make a statement that they rule the NL West and the D-backs just couldn’t respond.

By no means does this set a precedent for the season, but the Diamondbacks better be ready next time they see the Dodgers or risk falling away early in their division.

Reach the columnist at nkwit@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @NolanKwit

×