How to vote in Arizona for out-of-state students

The U.S. Supreme Court is hearing a case challenging the constitutionality of an Arizona law that requires voters to present state identification when they register to vote and go to their polling place. Arizona's law requires all residents to show a photo ID card, two forms of non-photo ID or a photo ID with an inaccurate address and another identifier, like the pictured voter ID cards, when they vote. (Photo by Murphy Bannerman)

The U.S. Supreme Court is hearing a case challenging the constitutionality of an Arizona law that requires voters to present state identification when they register to vote and go to their polling place. Arizona's law requires all residents to show a photo ID card, two forms of non-photo ID or a photo ID with an inaccurate address and another identifier, like the pictured voter ID cards, when they vote. (Photo by Murphy Bannerman) While primary voting takes place Tuesday, many out-of-state students will be unable to vote because they don't have paper proof of state citizenship.  (Photo by Murphy Bannerman)

As the primary elections open up Tuesday in Arizona, many citizens will visit their local voting stations to place their pick for governor, attorney general, and other local positions in addition to Congressional races.

Many out-of-state college students will be faced with the unfortunate reality that they will not be permitted to vote in local elections.

Because of the unique two-tiered voting division established in Arizona, voters who can not produce paper proof of state citizenship are placed on a “federal-only” roll for the November general elections.

Many out-of-state college students may not know what to expect as the November general elections quickly approach.

According to the United States Election Assistance Commission, those that recently moved from one state to another must re-register prior to election day.

To register to vote in Arizona, one must:

• Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Possess residency in Arizona for at least 29 days prior to the election
  • Have no prior felony convictions
  • Must not have been declared “incompetent” by a court of law
  • Provide documentary proof of citizenship to be permitted to vote for state and federal offices
  • File a change of address form through an official USPS
  • Provide form(s) of identification valid in Arizona: one with a photograph, name, and address, or two with a name and address
Voting registration is available online through a County Reporter or in person at the local Arizona DMV. In order to check voter registration status, visit the Arizona Secretary of State's website.

Reach the reporter at jlsuerth@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SuerthJessica

×