ASU acquires land, plans to move near Mayo Clinic

(Photo by Danielle Grobmeier)
(Photo by Danielle Grobmeier)

(Photo by Danielle Grobmeier) (Photo by Danielle Grobmeier)

A recently re-designated piece of land will allow ASU to build educational and research facilities near Mayo Clinic and further expand its partnership with the hospital.

By moving some medical facilities to the land, ASU faculty and students will get many unique medical and technological opportunities, ASU spokesperson Skip Derra said in an email.

“Students will benefit by getting the opportunity to learn about some of the new technologies and techniques in the medical field," Derra said. "Students will in turn use their newly gained knowledge to help improve health care for all of the patients."

Derra said the land acquisition is just one of many steps ASU and Mayo Clinic are taking in their collaboration on health care research and education that began in 2003.

Since 2003, ASU and Mayo Clinic have collaborated on a joint nursing education program, research projects, joint faculty appointments and dual degree programs.

In 2011, the Mayo Clinic Medical School announced its expansion from Rochester, Minnesota, to Arizona with one of the main features being the new degree in Science of Health Care Delivery.

“We are continually trying to find new ways to further solidify our relationship with Mayo Clinic,” he said.

Keith Lindor, executive vice provost and dean of the ASU College of Health Solutions, said he is excited to start giving students unique opportunities through the partnership.

“The ASU-Mayo partnership creates exceptional learning opportunities for our students, not only for internship opportunities, but also collaborative research initiatives addressing some of today’s most important issues in health and health care,” he said. “The location of the new facility is a natural fit, because it will be in close proximity to Arizona’s biomedical and technology leaders.”

He also said he expects the new facilities to be highly beneficial in giving students hands-on experience.

“Experiential learning is a cornerstone of our curriculum, so we’re anxious to get students involved with opportunities that will surely result from the development of these new research and educational facilities,” Lindor said.

Health Solutions sophomore Gina Johnson said she thinks the expansion will present students with great opportunities to get an edge in the medical field.

“I believe this is a fantastic collaboration, because it will benefit students by allowing them to get hands on experience, which is truly invaluable in the long run,” she said.

She also said she plans to get involved and take full advantage of the new opportunities.

“I look forward to trying to work in a real clinic rather than studying classroom material for my major,” Johnson said. “I prefer hands-on work, because I feel I learn much better that way.”

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow him on twitter @justintoscano3

×