ASU intramurals improved with REC*IT app

Intramural referee Daniel Oldmixon makes a call on a play at an intramural soccer game on Feb. 17. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Intramural referee Daniel Oldmixon makes a call on a play at an intramural soccer game on Feb. 17. The REC*IT app is connected to the intramural network IMLeagues and makes it easier for ASU students to find information on intramural games. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Intramural referee Daniel Oldmixon makes a call on a play at an intramural soccer game on Feb. 17. The REC*IT app is connected to the intramural network IMLeagues and makes it easier for ASU students to find information on intramural games. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

A new app called REC*IT is helping ASU students connect with intramural sports, increase involvement and see stats about other players.

In the app, users can find schedules for when all the ASU intramural games are happening, information about the teams playing and chat with other players. There are organized statistics about players to keep an eye out for and information about the historic success of each player in every intramural sport they have participated in.

Forensic science freshman Yalitza Velasquez said she has played soccer all her life and wanted to continue playing without the commitment of being on a Division I team.

This app allowed her to do so, even though at first she wasn't a fan.

“At first, I didn't really know how to use it, but after playing around to use it, I liked it," she said. "It's just I didn't join any teams on the app. I went to the website and joined, and then it showed up on the app.”

This is something David Oestreicher, president of the company, said is the greatest benefit of the app.

“REC*IT ties directly into ASU's software management system (IMLeagues)," he said in an email. "Thus, it's seamlessly personalized to each individual student athlete through this technical integration — and all the content is updated in real-time as a result.”

Beyond just showing who the teams are, and connecting with those you compete with, it's also possible to talk to people from other teams. For electrical engineering junior Tony Hammons, being able to connect with other players is the best part.

“I think intramurals are really important, because they help you connect with other players," he said. "I play basketball 5-on-5. ... The most difficult thing is getting enough people to show up for games, 'cause everyone's classes are different."

He said he thinks the app may help.

"I think it'll make it easier for students to see what intramurals are there, they can show their friends and say, 'Let's go there,'” he said.

However, this app isn't just for making friends. Exploratory freshman Christopher Cook said he was interested in looking at the competitive advantage this app could bring to intramurals.

“I like the competitive level (of intramurals), and being able to show off what you've got to the other teams," he said. "It really shows ASU's personality,"

The app can be used to connect with, and see the stats of people from other teams. A user can click on the name of a team to find its overall setting, personal playing schedule, and team roster.

In the team roster the user can look at the success of individual ASU intramural team members by their individual win and loss record, their stats in various sports and their trophy case to see what games they've won.

Cook said he thinks this aspect of the app could help teams prepare for games beforehand.

“I most definitely would use the app to get the upper hand on the other other team, so I can be like, 'Hey, I know everything you're doing; you better be ready,'” he said.

Reach the reporter at rtashboo@asu.edu or follow her on twitter @Rachael_Ta

×