Local Chick-fil-A restaurants, Clean Air Cab sign UNITY Pledge for equality in the workplace

Chick-Fil-A Integrity Pledge
Two Tempe Chick-fil-A's and other local businesses are working to guarantee equal rights no matter race, age, gender or sexual identity to their employees with the UNITY Pledge. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Two Tempe Chick-fil-A's and other local businesses are working to guarantee equal rights no matter race, age, gender or sexual identity to their employees with the UNITY Pledge. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Two Tempe Chick-fil-A's and other local businesses are working to guarantee equal rights to all races, ages, genders or sexual identities to their employees with the UNITY Pledge. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Two Tempe Chick-fil-A's and other local businesses are working to guarantee equal rights no matter race, age, gender or sexual identity to their employees with the UNITY Pledge.

Some may be shocked that these nine locations signed this pledge, which was created by an organization called ONE Community, due to the criticism Chick-fil-A has received after chief operator Dan Cathy spoke out against same-sex marriage.

However, Brandon Barrett, the franchise owner of Chick-fil-A on University Drive and Mill Avenue, said this does not reflect the opinions of individual franchise owners.

“We wanted to communicate to our guests that that wasn’t us. That wasn’t our business,” said Barrett. “It’s about treating everyone with honor, dignity and respect.”

His goal is to create a healthy environment for both the customer and the employee, no matter what diversity they may bring into the work environment. He believes that Chick-fil-A has no right to distinguish who they serve and why.

“It wouldn’t make sense to exclude any group," he said. "Everyone has to eat.”

He said he is strictly working as a businessman rather than acting from a political stance or a personal view. He said his goal is to serve the people with exceptional service with no restraints or barriers put on the customers.

Family and human development junior Delaney Stevenson is an an occasional Chick-fil-A customer and loves the idea behind the pledge.

"I think it's awesome that they signed the pledge," said Stevenson. "I think more should. It is a great cause to support."

Barrett is not the only local company pairing up with ONE community and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation to push equality in the workplace.

Clean Air Cab has also signed the UNITY Pledge. Brandy Lovato, director of operations for the company, said she thinks the pledge is beneficial for both employees and business owners.

Clean Air Cab is also adding sexual identity awareness to its training procedure so all employees can feel comfortable no matter what their stance on the issue.

“It is the right thing to do,” said Lovato. “I think it opens a lot more doors to get better staff.”

Reach the reporter at eaharri4@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @lissabissa09

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×