Former UA researcher seeks new location to conduct marijuana PTSD study

Last week Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer retracted her lawsuit against the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act, which will allow prospective medical marijuana dispensaries to apply for their licenses. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Last week Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer retracted her lawsuit against the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act, which will allow prospective medical marijuana dispensaries to apply for their licenses. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook) Suzanne Sisley, a former researcher on a UA research study looking into the effects of marijuana as a treatment for veterans suffering from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, is looking for a university to continue her research at after UA discontinued her contract. ASU is one of several options Sisley and the organization funding her research is looking into after her research was brought to a halt in July, despite government approval. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Suzanne Sisley, a former researcher on a UA research study looking into the effects of marijuana as a treatment for veterans suffering from chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, is looking for a university to continue her research at after UA discontinued her contract.

ASU is one of several options Sisley and the organization funding her research is looking into after her research was brought to a halt in July, despite government approval.

“They stripped me of all of my work on one day without giving any reason,” Sisley said.

This study is the first of its kind with randomized, controlled trials looking at the efficacy of whole-plant marijuana and treating PTSD, Sisley said.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse has funded many studies around the country looking at the harmful side effects of marijuana, but there is nothing looking at the efficacy of it and certainly no government funding for those studies, Sisley said.

Sisley said the controversial nature of her study was the main reason her contract was not renewed by UA.

Her study is funded by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, which has publicly vocalized its support for Sisley as the principal investigator, after UA agreed to continue the study if another researcher was appointed the principal investigator.

After her termination, MAPS founder and executive director Rick Doblin wrote a letter to UA explaining that MAPS would not replace Sisley as the principal investigator, and if she was not reinstated the study, would be moved elsewhere.

Sisley waited over three years to get the federal government to approve her study at UA, and her study now will be postponed longer until she undergoes another university review process. However, Sisley said she will continue her research even if it is not at UA.

Sisley said going forward, MAPS is planning to split the study into three locations, including collaborating with Johns Hopkins University and University of Colorado Denver.

The third location is still undecided, she said.

"If ASU is willing to find a home for this research, that would be a victory for scientific freedom," Sisley said.

Exploratory freshman Alper Mencek said that even though the study is investigating a controversial subject, that research could eventually benefit a large group of people.

“Research is research, so why not?” he said.

A petition launched on Change.org by Arizona veteran Ricardo Pereyda has gathered over 109,000 signatures in support of MAPS and Sisley’s efforts to continue research on marijuana's effects on PTSD in Arizona.

At an Arizona Board of Regents meeting on Sept. 25 in Flagstaff, veterans, including Pereyda, traveled from all over the state and beyond to share their personal stories and voice their concerns.

Pereyda was diagnosed with PTSD in February 2006, and after trying every conventional treatment, he said his symptoms were not lessened until he began medicating with cannabis.

“Before I began medicating with cannabis, I wasn’t sure if I could overcome the debilitating symptoms of post-traumatic stress,” he said.

While the University is still considering the decision, Pereyda asked University President Michael Crow to adopt the research.

“Please, Dr. Crow, find a home at Arizona State University for this critical study,” he said.

Reach the reporter at rtdavis1@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @ryantaylordavis

×