Tempe Police: Intoxicated man punches Uber driver who refused to drive him

Tempe police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 26-year old Tempe man was arrested Oct. 3 on the 200 block of East Manhatton Drive on suspicion of aggravated assault, according to a police report.

The man and the Uber driver got into a heated argument after the driver refused to drive the man because he was drunk, police reported.

The man punched the driver in his left eye, according to the report. The driver defended himself by using a stun device on the man and swinging his collapsible baton at the man, police reported.

Although the driver did not believe he hit the man, the man responded by punching the driver in the head before he fled the scene, police reported.

The driver followed the man in his vehicle, and just before police arrived, the man punched the rear driver’s side window, according to the report.

From the fight, the driver received a swollen left eye, a bloody nose, a chipped tooth and a small laceration to the top of his head, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 41-year-old Scottsdale man was arrested Sept. 30 at South 52nd Street and West University Drive on suspicion of having narcotics and dangerous drugs, selling narcotics and dangerous drugs and having drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

The man was found asleep in his car at the intersection, police reported. The officer smelled alcohol on his breath and gave the man a DUI, according to the report.

The officer also searched the man’s car and found a clear plastic bag containing ecstasy pills in the front left pocket of the his vest and cocaine in the center console, police reported.

The officer also found about $3,282 in the man’s front right pocket, police reported.

The man admitted to owning the ecstasy pills and told officers he earned the money from his job, according to the report.

He was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges.

Reports compiled by Justin Toscano.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Toscano@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @justintoscano3

×