Top 5 most likely haunted places at ASU's West campus

The West Campus has a few rumored ghost stories, including the haunted Las Casas building which has shown suspicious signs since catching on fire during construction. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

(Photo by Jessica Weisel) (Photo by Jessica Weisel)

As the days creep closer to this year’s Halloween, it may be necessary to know where to avoid when hiding from local poltergeists. Because of this, here is a list of the top most likely haunted places at the West campus!

1. The old nursing classrooms in the basement of Classroom/Lab/Computer Classroom Building

In the basement of the CLCC building there stands an abandoned study room, collecting dust under a sunken ceiling. This room is believed to be haunted, often creaking as students pass. (Photo by Tynin Fries) In the basement of the Classroom/Lab/Computer Classroom Building there stands an abandoned study room, collecting dust under a sunken ceiling. This room is believed to be haunted, often creaking as students pass. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

Vacant since the program’s movement to the Downtown campus, the old nursing classrooms have been gathering dust in this isolated basement. An old study room is filled with dust and rests in shambles in the perpetually dark vicinity. The old nursing room itself is lined with grey curtains and tables that have fallen into disuse in recent years. If any place on campus were to be infested with some form of demon, it would be this older, unused facility.

This isn't an area you would access on accident. If you find yourself walking down the back staircase of CLCC, try to pull yourself out of your trance and escape.

“I've never been down there for fear of not coming back,” psychology freshman Natalia Stifano said.

2. Las Casas Residence Halls

The West Campus has a few rumored ghost stories, including the haunted Las Casas building which has shown suspicious signs since catching on fire during construction. (Photo by Tynin Fries) The West Campus has a few rumored ghost stories, including the haunted Las Casas building which has shown suspicious signs since catching on fire during construction. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

In 2003, during the building of the Las Casas Residence Halls, a spark caught fire and burnt down one of the housing units being built. This is just one sign of a potential spirit starting to cause trouble at this location.

“The dorms themselves are haunted," exploratory freshman Dane Olson said. "When I took my first shower in Las Casas the water was scorching hot. As I tried to turn down the temperature, the handle popped off. It's like someone was trying to burn me. I was freaked out.”

At night, the gates in and out of the residency will creak and alert students to the presence of a spooky figure. If you find your Sparky gear missing, or feel the presence of eyes on you when walking through the gates, be wary — it may be a lost spirit.

3. The Tree of the Familiars

Three trees among hundreds on the West Campus attract the attention of hundreds of black birds, causing reason for suspicion in front of Fletcher Library. (Photo by Tynin Fries) Three trees among hundreds on the West Campus attract the attention of hundreds of black birds, causing reason for suspicion in front of Fletcher Library. (Photo by Tynin Fries)

Despite an abundance of trees and space, the birds of West campus clearly have a favorite spot — the trees off to the side of CLCC by Fletcher Library. It is uncertain if they are guarding something, possessed, or simply waiting for a witch’s command, but the birds have an unwavering faith to staying near this particular spot. If you hear them getting incessantly louder, and spreading out, it may be the time to find cover.

4. The Basement of Fletcher Library

Anyone who has ventured down into the basement of Fletcher Library can attest to the foreboding feeling left by the claustrophobic white walls and nonsensical hallways therein. Whether you use the stairs or elevator, you will see the isolated door to the underground tunnels. If you find yourself hearing noises from the (hopefully locked) door, find the nearest escape route and take it.

“I heard that near finals, one student studied 17 hours straight and had a mental breakdown from the overwhelming stress," communications freshman Ilyssa Goldsmith said. "Convinced they turned against him, he kidnapped three students from the same class and locked them in the tunnels. The students were never found, and he disappeared. They say you can still hear the banging of the fists of the lost students on the door in the basement."

5. The Reader

Infamous to students on the West campus, "Statue of a Woman Looking Into the Future" guides them to live educated lives. The Woman has no face, but is in long robes taking on human form. The statue holds an open book encouraging many to find knowledge. Unlike the other potential spirits, this one is considered to be a good, kind one for its desire to help all the students and faculty at West towards enlightenment.

Reach the reporter at rtashboo@asu.edu or follow her on twitter at @Rachael_Ta

×