Doug Ducey sworn in as Arizona's 23rd governor

Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him.  The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015.  (Photo by Emily Johnson)
Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him. The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015. (Photo by Emily Johnson)

Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him.  The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015.  (Photo by Emily Johnson) Doug Ducey taking his oath to office as Arizona's governor with his family beside him. The inauguration took place at the State Capitol courtyard on January 5, 2015. (Photo by Emily Johnson)

Former Arizona state treasurer Doug Ducey was sworn into office as Arizona's 23rd governor Monday.

In his inaugural speech, Ducey said one of the greatest challenges he will have to face in office is following through on promises made during the campaign.

"It's not the promises we bring to office that count the most," he said. "The true measure is taken in the work we finish, the good we do, and the commitments we keep."

Ducey is coming into office with many pressing issues that need to be addressed, including the budget crisis and a lawsuit challenging an assessment that pays for outgoing Gov. Jan Brewer's Medicaid expansion proposal.

Ducey has been vague on his plan to solve major issues regarding budget shortfall since he was elected. During his speech, he assured the public his experience as treasurer taught him that higher taxes are not necessary to balance the budget.

Ducey said extending opportunities to all Arizonans will be the focus of his time as governor. It was also a major component of his campaign.

"Whether it's spending, or the tax code, or changes in our public schools and our legal system, or any other policy question, my first priority is simple: put more opportunity and greater freedom within reach of all our citizens," he said.

Ducey said that if there is one thing the citizens of Arizona can count on, it is that he will truly be a committed governor.

"I will give this work everything I have in me, never anything less," he said.

Diane Douglas was sworn into the office of superintendent of public instruction. During her speech, she said control of education needs to be returned to the right hands.

"I know with (Ducey's) leadership, Arizona will go higher and further than it has so far," Douglas said. "I look forward to working with our governor ... and our legislators to return control of education where it rightfully belongs: to Arizonans!"

Arizona Treasurer Jeff DeWit, Attorney General Mark Brnovich and Secretary of State Michele Reagan were all sworn into their offices before Ducey

Reagan said she hopes to use her new position to make some things, like filing paperwork for small businesses, more convenient and functional.

"It's time for government to catch up with technology," Reagan said. "That is how we will better connect with and serve Arizona."

Reach the reporter at Jlsuerth@asu.edu or on Twitter at @SuerthJessica.

×