ASU officer Stewart Ferrin resigns after controversy

The ASU police officer shown tackling a professor to the ground in a dashcam video over the summer resigned from his position Monday.

Stewart Ferrin had been on leave for about seven months since the video of him arresting assistant professor Ersula Ore was released.

The video, which was taken while Ferrin attempted to arrest Ore because he said she was walking in the middle of College Avenue, shows the two in a physical struggle after Ore refused to show identification.

Before the altercation became physically violent, the video captures Ferrin telling Ore, “I will slam you on this car, now put your hands behind your back.” To which Ore replies, “Do you really want to do that?”

Ferrin had been told in January that he would be fired from the department, but the firing was postponed. At the time, Ferrin’s attorney, Mel McDonald, said they planned to appeal the decision and “fight this until we win.”

Ore was sentenced to nine months of probation after pleading guilty to resisting arrest in the incident.

Ferrin’s mother, Ellen Streiff, previously told The State Press she believed her son had done nothing wrong in the altercation and that she was disappointed in the ASU Police Department’s handling of Ferrin’s case.

“The victim in this case was Officer Ferrin,” Streiff said. “He was assaulted that night, and people seem to forget that.”

After the resignation was announced, Ore released a statement through her attorney, Daniel Ortega.

“I have never wavered on the facts regarding Officer Ferrin’s unlawful arrest and use of unjustified and excessive force on me,” Ore said in a statement. “I am very glad to learn that the University’s investigation into this matter concluded and confirmed what I have asserted from the day of the vicious attack by officer Ferrin. My only disappointment is that Officer Ferrin didn’t take personal responsibility for his unjustified brutal actions and disregard for the truth. His resignation will ensure that no one on the ASU campus will ever again be the victim of his lawlessness and violence.”

Reach the reporter at cvanek@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @CorinaVanek.

×